Dash speaker fitment problems

V8Freak

So I bought a USA 630 radio, its on its way. Wemtnout amd bought new 6x9's for back and 4x6's for front under dash and amd amp. So my problem... all the new 4x6 speakers have fairly big magnets and will require a fair bit of modification. Has anyone tackled this yet and would have suggestions for me that would help?

I found that with the limited space you have under the dash I decided to use component speakers. I added kick panel bass speakers and added the tweeters in the space in the dash.post-1188-0-32801000-1489426160_thumb.jpgpost-1188-0-48325300-1489426274_thumb.jpg

Put in Alpine 4"x6" in the front decades ago.  Cut the original brackets so the magnet fits; no issues with the fit on the pax side.  To get the driver's side in, unbolted the dash, moved it out slightly, installed the speaker then bold the dash back in careful with contact points to avoid shorting out the flexible instrument cluster circuit.  It still is a very tight fit.  Good luck.

20140108_183106_zpsaaf360e0.jpg

20140110_184017_zpsc699ca8c.jpg

If you need more let me know. Basically I bought the pre molded kickpanels and added 6 1/2" speakers. Then I added the tweeters and the filters under the dash. It sounds real good. The highs are up around ear level and the lows are low. You can stuff speakers under the dash but you will never get the larger magnets inside the drivers side.

Nice set up rock, I'm gonna do similar kick panels in the front, and you gave me a good idea with your highs and filters/crossovers, I all ready put 6x9's in the rear, and 2 10 inch JL audio subs in the trunk with 500 RMS watts JL amp, also put in a top of the line pioneer deck that has a built in voltage meter, so I don't have to buy that gauge when I start doing my after market gauge setup.

Here is whats in my 005-3.jpg flea market find 4" speakers, The JBL speakers 007-3.jpg  011-3.jpg  008-3.jpg Then I updated the kick panel to 6.5" speakers backtogether001_zps0907c6be.jpg6x9 in the back deck 004-13.jpgand then there is 2 10" subs pointed to the back seat subs007.jpg and if your wondering that box was brought from Best Buys for a Dodge Ram pick up, it fits that area like it was designed to go there. Some where I have a video of the radio playing.

Hey Monte70car, nice setup, where did you get your kick panels from and how much are they? OPG has a pair of similar kick panels with 6 1/2 pioneer 160 watt speakers included for $200.00 also where did you get your rear 6x9 enclosures, are they one piece with the rear deck or separate? I've never seen those before and want to get some, it looks like it well improve the sound quality of the 6x9's alot.

Dito the rear tray is a three piece kit from NPD for a 70-72 Chevelle. In the center is a third brake light. It's all plastic which was paint dark saddle to match the rest of the interior. From a distance the high mounted speaker look like rear seat head rest. As for the kick panels they are custom auto sound panels stuff with Pioneer 160 watt speakers that I picked up for $180 (those are for a non-air car).

20140108_183106_zpsaaf360e0.jpg

20140110_184017_zpsc699ca8c.jpg

If you need more let me know. Basically I bought the pre molded kickpanels and added 6 1/2" speakers. Then I added the tweeters and the filters under the dash. It sounds real good. The highs are up around ear level and the lows are low. You can stuff speakers under the dash but you will never get the larger magnets inside the drivers side.

I think this is the easiest route, I'll have to Do this

• 1 month later...

So I got a pair of the Kenwood 4x6 and the drivers side is just too close for me.. I am up in the air in the turnswitch 4x6  or the kick panel speakers with the mid's and tweets in the dash. For you guys who did the kick panels was there any cutting the Braces? Seems like there would be at least on the Driver side?  Was an A/C car I made NON-A/C

post-44-0-07071600-1493487634_thumb.jpg

I have an a/c car and the pre molded kick panels work great. Here's a problem if you choose to use larger speakers in the under dash, if you have and Amp gauge or a volt gauge installed the magnet will cause false readings with the gauge.

I am not using the AMP gauge.. I bought a pair of the Kenwood Speakers but even with Modifying the brackets it is too close to the Printed Circuit for my liking.  I am probably over thinking this. I had turn-switch convert my radio and I was looking for better sounding speakers. I will not be running an amplifyer or anything so I think there speakers would sound fine.  I also don't want to have to cut the Kick-panel brace in the car to fit a speaker. 

Thanks 

I didn't have to cut any braces Behind the kick panels to get the component speakers to fit. I actaully think I could of fit even larger magnet speakers than what I purchased. God luck with what ever decision you make.

I put the Kenwood speakers in my dash and just wrapped electricians tape around the magnet to be save. There was room but not a whole lot of space the reason for the tape. No problems so far and it has been three years.

We found a particular Kenwood 4x6 (Dont know model offhand but can find out) that had a smaller magney that just fit with some modifications to stock bracket.  I have a picture but do not know how to post a pic here.  I will email to thread starter and to Monte70car to see if the can post it.

Dan 

Sounds good let me know.. I bought the kenwood kfc-4675c but they are just to close for me. I was thinking of some 3 1/2 inch speakers instead but I dont know if magnet would actually be cheaper.  I called Turn-switch but they are out of stock until Mid June .. You could email me the picture too    snomobeelr@aol.com..  

Thanks  

I believe those are the ones we used.  I sent both snowmowbeeler & V8Freak the pic of how we customized bracket to make it fit.  Really not that difficult.  Just cutting larger whole for magnet and adding two "L" brackets to mount speaker.

Hope it helps.  I also forwarded a pic to Monte70car.  Hopefully, one of you can post the pic so that all can benefit.

Dan