Newb here

JK's 70 SS

Hi folks - just joined up - cool forums.  I have a 70 SS 454.  I've had it for about 4 years now - had it out twice.  I'm wanting to get just a few things period correct (distributor, battery, wheels, tires etc...).   

Anyway - how many SS cars came with the gold vinyl roof? and did GM change the color name from butternut yellow to something else? 

Thanks - JK

Welcome! We'd love to see photos of your car.

GM does not break down the number of cars with a particular colour of vinyl top. As for the paint colours, here is a list of the codes with the description.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/tech/paintcodes.shtml

• Like 1

Open your hood.  On the cowl on the drivers side will be the body tag.  The body tag is on the horizontal area between the windshield and where the hood hinge attaches.  On the right side of the tag you will see the paint PNT code.  Use that paint code and then look at the chart below.  The paint code will be either a pair of two digit numbers or a two digit number followed by a letter.  If the car has no vinyl top both of the two digit numbers will be the same.  If it is a two tone painted car it will have two different two digit numbers and if it has a vinyl roof it will have one set of two digit numbers followed by a letter designating the color of a vinyl roof.  I hope this helps.

rob

1970 Paint Codes

Code          Color

10           Classic White

14           Cortez Silver

17           Shadow Gray

19           Tuxedo black

25           Astro Blue

28           Fathom Blue

34           Misty Turquoise

45           Green Mist

48           Autumn Gold 

50           Gobi Beige

55           Champagne Gold

58           Autumn Gold

63           Desert Sand

75           Cranberry Red

78            Black Cherry

Codes              Two Tone Colors

25-10           Astro Blue w/Classic White Top

25-28           Astro Blue w/Fathom Blue Top

28-25           Fathom Blue w/Astro Blue Top

34-10           Misty Turquoise w/Classic White Top

55-10           Champagne Gold w/Classic White Top

58-10           Autumn Gold w/Classic White Top

63-10           Desert Sand w/Classic White Top

If I try to magnify that picture it becomes this pixelated to tell but to me it looks more like a 70 than a 71. The 71 has defined horizontal fins where the 70 has tiny boxes made up of horizontal and vertical lines.

rob

If I try to magnify that picture it becomes this pixelated to tell but to me it looks more like a 70 than a 71. The 71 has defined horizontal fins where the 70 has tiny boxes made up of horizontal and vertical lines.

rob

Before I was looking at the picture of the front of your car on my tablet.  Now that I am on my laptop with a larger screen I am positive it is in fact a 70 grille.

rob