Roof questions

sredmyer

I have been collecting up parts in preparation for starting the restore on my 1970 SS.  While I am not sure I will need it, one part I was able to buy was a roof (with 'A' pillars) that had been removed from a rust free car by drilling out the spot welds.  Unfortunately, while the roof is basically clean it does have significant surface rust and grime from sitting around a shop for several years.  I know it is likely going to be a while before I get to this part of the restoration so I want to take the roof to a local place that will chemically strip the roof and remove all the rust then prime it for me so it can sit without deteriorating until I get ready to use it.  So the problem is the roof has 2 pieces of what looks to be Masonite glued to the inside. 

What is this board for?  Can I remove to get the roof dipped and primed?

You can use a product like Rust Mort for SEM that will treat the rust or POR 15 also has a rust inhibitor and then coat it with POR 15 but that is not UV protected. A better option is to coat it with an epoxy primer and the will protect it outside in the weather if that is where it is stored. There are also rust converters out there but I am unfamiliar with how well they work.

I have the same problem, I stripped off my vinyl top, and the roof is covered in surface rust! I would appreciate any info on the best way to deal with it, thanx

• 2 weeks later...