Pertronix Ignitor Distributor Conversion........Anyone done one?

NWmonte71

I am curious if anyone on the board has eliminated their original points distributor internals and swapped over to an electronic Pertronix Ignitor conversion kit? The kit seems like a great way to eliminate points adjustment and achieve a trouble-free/maintenance-free setup. Just wanted some feedback on installation and performance if anyone has done it.

Thanks for the feedback guys!  I was hoping other members have used this system before. It seems like a pretty good way to retain the stock look, while gaining modern performance. I was wondering.......How does the ballast wire/block come into play with this system? Do you need a dedicated 12V wire ran from the fuse block or do you use an existing wire? I realize the directions will explain all that, just want to prepare myself and plan ahead.

If I remember corectly instructions say to replace the resistor wire from ignition switch to coil to a non resistor wire. You need appx. 12 volts with key on, not direct 12 volts all the time. (thats very important) I no longer use my carb seloniod so I just pulled my voltage from there and it works fine. Like I said follow instructions and there tech line is good too if needed. I called them and asked about using the seloinde voltage just to be sure. Good luck .

i Used the same wire that Steve did, it was the perfect source

I have all the original equipment setup on my stock 350cid (Q-jet). I noticed there is a large soleniod with a wiring harness connecting to it on the side of the carburetor. Is this where you guys are robbing the 12V power wire from? If so, disabling this soleniod will cause the carburetor to do what? 

I am not sure if that is the wire they are talking about.  That is an idle dropout solenoid.  One of the purposes of that solenoid is this.  When the key is turned on that solenoid will energize (extend slightly).

When adjusting the throttle idle this solenoid is energized and at the end of the solenoid is a bolt head that screws into that solenoid that is used to adjust the idle speed.  When the key is turned off the solenoid deenergizes which moves the throttle below idle speed to help prevent engine runon (dieseling) after the key is turned off.

rob