speedometer

rsorg

How hard is it to remove the speedometer,thanks

Roger, here's a LINK to a photo journal I made when I upgraded my dash to full gauges and LEDs.  The first several slides explain and show how to remove the dash enough to get the instrument cluster out.  The removal tips referenced in Slide #4 are pasted in below. Good luck!

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Dash Removal Tips

Just take your time and don't try to just force any part of it. The dash pods in our cars are VERY BRITTLE and will break if you just look at it wrong. Here is what I had to do:

1. UNHOOK BATTERY then Remove the dash pad

2. Unbolt two lower and three upper dash bolts (corners of the dash and near defrost vent) at this point the dash will be a bit easier to move but not even close to come out.

3. I cut a 2x4 to use as a small wedge and removed the a/c duct above the climate controls and placed the wedge there to hold the dash out about 1 1/2 inches from normal. That is all I "needed" but would have gone a bit further knowing how tight it all was

4. Remove the headlight switch knob by pulling it out to the on position and pushing the button on the side of the switch mechanism and removing.

5. Remove the switch itself by removing retainer from the knob side. It can be unplugged and put to the side until the job is done.

6. Remove the small ground wire from the drivers side of the rear of the gauge pod

7. Now you can remove the under column cover and then the screw on the lower side of the steering column that retains the gear selector wire and unhook the clip and leave it hang. **REMEMBER THIS IS THERE WHEN YOU REMOVE THE GAUGES OR YOU WILL BE MAKING EVEN MORE REPAIRS** ask how I know

8. While you are down there, remove the two bolts that hold the steering column in and support the column so it does not get bent.

9. Above the column, at the lower side of the gauges there are two 1/4 fasteners that need to be removed. The connect the gauge pod through two metal supports into the lower dash

10. Remove the three fasteners at the top of the dash pod (rear) and I believe two that are down the sides.

11. Remove the wire harness by depressing the clips on the sides and pulling it free, be careful not to rip the printed circuit, then if you have the factory clock remove the adjuster from the dash side with a small screwdriver

12. Pull the dash forward a bit and reach down the back and unhook the speedometer cable by pushing in the retainer and removing the cable

Your dash panel should now be free from anything holding it there, make sure I did not miss anything by looking carefully around the perimeter and you can now carefully guide the dash panel out of the dash. You may need an extra set of hands to keep wires out of the way when you get near the speedometer mount and don't forget you have that clip hanging at the bottom

Tony

• Like 1

I have had the dash off, before, but can I just remove the speedometer only ,and not have to remove the complete gauge cluster, thanks

No, you can not do that. For one you would not be able to remove the speedometer cable in order to remove the instrument cluster from the dash carrier/ housing. The best way is to remove the entire dash housing as a unit. Then remove the instrument cluster to fix your problem.

Roger, I've never removed the speedometer, even when I had the cluster out.  Just looking at the photos, however, it certainly appears to me that the speedometer would have to come out the front of the cluster, not the back.  It is beyond me how you would remove the clear instrument cluster cover without first removing the cluster from the dash.  Guess you could try it ...

You need to pull the dash housing out of the car, then remove the wire harness from the back of the cluster, them remove cluster from dash housing, then remove the light sockets, and miscellaneous hardware on top of the printed circuit board, then remove the circuit board, then remove the clock stem knob, then separate the steel gauge housing from the plastic gauge housing. Now you can unbolt and remove the speedometer, repair or replace, then reinstall in the reverse order. I may have missed some small details that you will be able to figure out along the way, but this is for the most part what you will need to do. DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE THE SHIFT INDICATOR CABLE FROM THE STEERING COLUMN WHEN YOU DROP IT TO REMOVE THE DASH HOUSING/ CARRIER IF YOU HAVE A COLUMN SHIFTED CAR.  You can install long threaded rods in the upper outside mounting holes for the dash housing/ carrier bolts to slide the dash out on. Then remove the 5 other dash frame bolts.  I find that for removal of the cluster it is much easier to just remove the entire wire harness and complete dash assembly as a unit. Repair and replace and reinstall entire dash.

post-76-0-14906900-1491758955_thumb.jpg

If it helps any, here is a picture of my 1971, NO A/C, with the gauge package, dash was removed to fix other things.........SNOW BALL.....

That darn shift indicator wire, after having my dash out 3 times prior, I forgot and broke the wire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck take your time.

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifIMG_0377-2.JPG

If it helps any, here is a picture of my 1971, NO A/C, with the gauge package, dash was removed to fix other things.........SNOW BALL.....

That darn shift indicator wire, after having my dash out 3 times prior, I forgot and broke the wire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck take your time.

Hi,

Here is another wire broker... so easy to uninstall, so easy to forgot -> nasty one to replace.

Anssi from Finland