Nitrous fogger install

GatorDog72

Time to do some more work. I ordered a direct port kit from Nitrous Express and will be installing it on the 489 in my Monte. Should be insane, it comes with jetting for 200-600 HP. I've installed smaller, single-fogger NOS systems on my older cars but never anything this big. I'm going to use a progressive controller so it doesn't come on all at once.

The intake manifold has to come off and get drilled and tapped for the foggers. I'm bringing it to a machine shop to have it milled to fix the end gaps from leaking oil, and I'll have them drill it out while it's there. I'll install the rest of the system. Any nitrous guys out there, any advice is appreciated! 

post-1964-0-14173900-1492890719_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That'll be fun! I was gonna run nitrous until I seen the price we pay, 9 bucks a lbs up here. Going turbo instead. Your gonna need multiple bottles or one huge one if your going to run that big of a shot or your track days will be cut short.

Got the manifold ripped off the motor today, I will drop it off at the machine shop tomorrow. Running the hard-lines is going to be difficult. There's not much room to work between the throttle linkage/ fuel log and the valve covers. I was going to try and tuck the solenoids into the valley between the center 2 runners on the manifold, but it wont fit. This system is going to be a pain to set up compared to the single foggers or a plate system. I would have gone with a plate system, but the hood already rubs on the air cleaner with the carburetor bolted straight to the intake. 

post-1964-0-08645200-1492988816_thumb.jpgpost-1964-0-24102100-1492988824_thumb.jpgpost-1964-0-66474000-1492988830_thumb.jpg

That'll be fun! I was gonna run nitrous until I seen the price we pay, 9 bucks a lbs up here. Going turbo instead. Your gonna need multiple bottles or one huge one if your going to run that big of a shot or your track days will be cut short.

I  ordered a 15 pound bottle with this system, I have a feeling I will need another one. $9 a pound for nitrous is insane! I thought the local speed shops were expensive, they filled my 10 lb bottle for $75. I'm going to a welding supply to get a 100 lb mother bottle, I hope its cheaper than that! 

Got the intake back from the machine shop today. The foggers are installed in the runners and are ready for plumbing. The manifold already had bosses cast on the intake runners, so no welding was required. Had to tip them all 2 degrees toward the carburetor for valve cover clearance. Now the fun part begins, bending the stainless steel 3/16" hard-lines and finding room for the solenoids. The tubing has a flare on the nozzle end, and uses compression fittings on the solenoid end. I ordered a nice tubing bender to make this job a little easier, it should be here by the end of the week.

post-1964-0-95099000-1493154769_thumb.jpgpost-1964-0-81408400-1493154783_thumb.jpgpost-1964-0-07804000-1493154790_thumb.jpg

More parts came in today. Got my tubing bender so I started bending all the lines up. I almost ditched the stainless lines for something easier to bend, but it worked okay. I got one side done and test fit on the car. Two nozzles hit on the bolt boss for the valve covers and won't let the manifold sit all the way down. I hope I can just turn the nozzle a little bit. If not, I'll have to grind notches in the valve covers. Everything else clears okay. Once the rest of the manifold is all plumbed up, I will test it outside the car to make sure the nozzles are all pointed straight down the runners.

post-1964-0-94758700-1493428694_thumb.jpgpost-1964-0-46485400-1493428732_thumb.jpg

I got all the hard lines on the manifold plumbed in. It came out really nice, but a couple lines are bent funny. I will have to fix them at some point. Hopefully I can get the bottle filled this week, so I can test blast this manifold. This thing looks serious!!  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Now I'm trying to figure out the fuel side of things. My original plan was to tap into the fuel log feeding the carburetor, but this system needs a dedicated fuel pressure regulator. I will have to tee off the high pressure feed line from the tank to a deadhead regulator set at 10 lbs to feed the fuel solenoids. I also want to run two small bleed lines from the fuel solenoids plumbed back into the return line to make sure there's no airlocks in the fuel system. More parts are on the way....

post-1964-0-89522600-1493568745_thumb.jpgpost-1964-0-79949900-1493568751_thumb.jpgpost-1964-0-65769000-1493568756_thumb.jpg

So my plan for the fuel system is not going to work.... My carburetor runs off a Holley bypass style regulator @ 6psi. I wanted to just run a deadhead regulator for the nitrous system off the same feed line from the pump. Problem is, I want the nitrous fuel pressure to be higher than the carburetor. Even if I installed a deadhead and set the pressure as high as it will go, it will only reach the 6psi the bypass regulator is set to. I'm running an Aeromotive A1000 pump that requires a bypass regulator and a return line. I'm thinking to set the bypass regulator at around 15psi, then run 2 deadhead regulators to the carb and nitrous. Does this sound like it will work? Fuel system is much brain hurt.  :crazy: Here's a drawing of what I'm trying to do

post-1964-0-07505000-1493930699_thumb.jpg

Ditto on not being an expert. It would seem to me, though, that you could set your bypass reg. at 10PSI and do away with the nitrous deadhead reg. You should have ten pounds everywhere behind your deadhead reg. (carb) and your solenoids (nitrous). You have plenty of volume w/ that pump.

Is that pump any quieter than my Holley black? I despise that thing.

Not sure how loud the black is but I did have the Holley Blue on my car for a while and then switched to the A1000 and it is so much quieter​.

Not sure how loud the black is but I did have the Holley Blue on my car for a while and then switched to the A1000 and it is so much quieter​.

Thanks. I gotta do something. It sounds like I'm strangling kittens or something.

Not sure how loud the Holley is, but the A1000 in my car is definitely not quiet. I can hear it running over the engine idling with open headers. Its also mounted in the trunk and I have no sound deadener or carpet in the car.

I imagine it all has to do with where it is mounted. My Holley was mounted behind the rear axle in front of the tank. My A1000 is mounted behind the gas tank tucked up in front of the rear bumper. I can hear it if I run it before starting the car but once I start it I can no longer hear it.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked a professional who builds race cars for a living about the fuel system. He recommended running a separate pump and regulator for a nitrous system this size. The fuel set up in my diagram would not have enough volume to feed the system properly. I decided to mount a separate 1 gallon fuel cell in the front of the car dedicated to the nitrous system. That way I don't have to run more fuel lines all the way to the back. Just waiting on parts to get here to continue.

I also picked up a 65 pound mother bottle at a welding supply so I can fill my own bottles. My cousin helped me make a bottle stand to hold it upside down. Worked out nicely. I need a more accurate scale to weigh the bottles on, I just used a bathroom scale to fill the bottle for testing. I rigged up the manifold to a jump pack to test the solenoids and to make sure the nozzles are spraying properly. Check out the video on YouTube! ---------> Nitrous Test

post-1964-0-92045400-1495151468_thumb.jpg

Great Build! I was wondering if anyone has run the plate style nitrous kits and what they thought of them? I was thinking of running a 150 shot.

I asked a professional who builds race cars for a living about the fuel system. He recommended running a separate pump and regulator for a nitrous system this size. The fuel set up in my diagram would not have enough volume to feed the system properly. I decided to mount a separate 1 gallon fuel cell in the front of the car dedicated to the nitrous system. That way I don't have to run more fuel lines all the way to the back. Just waiting on parts to get here to continue.

I also picked up a 65 pound mother bottle at a welding supply so I can fill my own bottles. My cousin helped me make a bottle stand to hold it upside down. Worked out nicely. I need a more accurate scale to weigh the bottles on, I just used a bathroom scale to fill the bottle for testing. I rigged up the manifold to a jump pack to test the solenoids and to make sure the nozzles are spraying properly. Check out the video on YouTube! --------->

attachicon.gif 5-18-17

006.JPG

Your nitrous test bench looks very similar to my nitrous mock-up bench. It should definitely get the job done.
  • Like 1