AM/FM 8-track

sredmyer

I am trying to figure out how to install an original AM/FM 8-track radio in my car.  The car currently has an OEM AM/FM radio but the guy I bought the car from said he thought it originally had an AM/FM 8-track and he include one (green tint lights and very nice condition) with the car.  In researching, I have found there is a different bracket for the 8-track radios and I bought one from The Parts Place on eBay here.  What I can't determine is where this bracket goes and how the radio actually mounts in the car.  I assume I will need to actually remove the dash to do the swap but I was hoping someone (MCFan?) had a write up with pictures.

Steve, shouldn't need to remove dash, possibly the ashtray tho.. Once you remove the knobs, you'll see the nut that holds the radio to the dash. There is a rear bracket that supports the rear of the radio. I beleive I had removed the ashtray to gain better access and see what is up in this tight space....Good Luck!

The bracket mounts to the steel dash frame. Then screwed to the radio on the right side near the rear of the radio by one screw. That is all that supports the rear of the radio. As Murphy said the front is supported by the stems through the dash housing/ carrier by nuts.