Correct color for water pump on 350?

71MonteCarloMD

My water pump shows surface rust as I am tempted to pull it out, resurface it and replace gasket while I have radiator out.  I am wondering what's the correct color of water pump for 350 as I seen it painted Chevy orange or natural cast iron?

I am looking at this one:

-Summit Racing: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-252-592/overview/year/1971/make/chevrolet/model/monte-carlo

-Advanced Auto: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/acdelco-water-pump-g3000584294acd/11526218-P?searchTerm=water+pump#fragment-1

Rick

post-974-0-07412600-1493652209_thumb.png

Personally, I would paint it to match the engine.  I can't tell from your photo if your engine block is painted or what color it is.  

Looks like your water pump is not original - Is it leaking or are you thinking preventative replacement?  You could easily pull the pulley and brackets off, mask the mating surface for the hub, degrease it and paint it in place.  I would also paint the alternator bracket, fan pulley and power steering pump and brackets semi-gloss black while I have easy access to them.  Of course, if you freshen up all that stuff, you might start a snowball that will eventually involve the whole engine compartment.  :)   Have fun!

When I worked for DuPont automotive finishes, I looked into Chevy "engine" orange. I was told by an expert that the color of engine enamel was not controlled as closely as a class "A" surface. In the early 1970's lead was removed from paint, causing the final color to change and also cost more to get to the same color. As a result, Chevy Orange, as we knew it became a bit more of a reddish orange. Chevrolet probably didn't care what it looked like as long as it didn't coast anymore. When I opened the hood of my new 1971 350, I noticed the engine was not the same color I remembered Chevy engines being painted in the 1960's. Hey, at least they didn't paint them blue or something! :-)

When I rebuilt my engine in the 1980's I loaded the paint using an old refinish formula that was the bright orange I wanted. It did NOT match the old color at all.

picture from 1983

post-76-0-04712500-1493678490_thumb.jpg

Sorry, way more than you wanted.....................

Bruce

I also just sent a message to my old boss from DuPont to make sure I explained this correctly.

Bruce

post-76-0-04712500-1493678490_thumb.jpg

I used POR 15 engine paint on mine and it cleans up real easy, has a nice shine and really looks good when cleaned up. The POR 15 flows out nicely using a brush for application

Dennis - it's more like saving the time of antifreeze being drained out as I do not see any leak around the water pump.  From your advice, I will leave it as it is for now and paint it with POR 15 Chevy Orange after I put my front end back together as I miss driving it - it's been a year since I last drove it.  FYI - my engine shows some orange paint but are peeling away as I assume from previous owner's rebuilding or it may be the original paint?

Sam, Bruce, Steve and Larry - thanks for sharing information!

Rick