Exhaust

sredmyer

As the topics says, this post is about exhaust not engines but this seemed like the best place to put it.

Anyway, here is the question what headers are folks using in their BBC with auto transmissions?  Then what header back exhaust system would you recommend.  Looking for something that will provide good sound, fit like OEM and stainless.  I plan, at some point, to do a mild build on the 454.  Not going for big power, just want it to count a good lope at idle and want an exhaust system that will fit the bill.  Maybe I don't even need to go with headers.  If that is the case how does that change the exhaust system recommendations?

So what do you guys suggest and why?

Thanks  

Most of us have gone with a 2 1/2 inch system. I have one on my '71 SS. I used a shorty header, but they are kind of a pain. The factory manifolds are ugly to look at, but work pretty well and keep the engine bay cooler and quieter. My headers are close to everything; the suspension, the oil filter, the spark plugs....

I ordered a set of mandrel pre-bent pipes from the mufflers back, and had a muffler shop do the easy part from the mufflers forward.

• Like 1

Most of us have gone with a 2 1/2 inch system. I have one on my '71 SS. I used a shorty header, but they are kind of a pain. The factory manifolds are ugly to look at, but work pretty well and keep the engine bay cooler and quieter. My headers are close to everything; the suspension, the oil filter, the spark plugs....

I ordered a set of mandrel pre-bent pipes from the mufflers back, and had a muffler shop do the easy part from the mufflers forward.

Thanks for the input. 

I do not really mind that the stock manifolds are ugly as I am going for a restored car. 

Do you know if anyone that sells a complete system from the manifolds back in stainless?

No...I went with the aluminized steel.

I insisted that the muffler shop do everything, including the flare at the engine end for the exhaust donuts. This turned out to be a nightmare. The thing they managed to fab was awful. It was like a 2" pipe welded into a larger pipe that had the flare... I didn't want 2" pipe anywhere, let alone right up against the engine.

This is all just FYI. It's better to use the original first bit of length and have them add your system behind it.

You can probably find the pre-bent section that goes behind the mufflers and over the axle. Stainless even...the entire system is the same as Chevelle. You can get a full Chevelle setup and have them put in.

Your next quandary is going to be: what kind of muffler should I use?

I went with Patriot headers from Summit.  Finding a shop that can do some mandrel bends was a challenge.  Mine is up close to the oil filter but other than that fits ok.

No...I went with the aluminized steel.

I insisted that the muffler shop do everything, including the flare at the engine end for the exhaust donuts. This turned out to be a nightmare. The thing they managed to fab was awful. It was like a 2" pipe welded into a larger pipe that had the flare... I didn't want 2" pipe anywhere, let alone right up against the engine.

This is all just FYI. It's better to use the original first bit of length and have them add your system behind it.

You can probably find the pre-bent section that goes behind the mufflers and over the axle. Stainless even...the entire system is the same as Chevelle. You can get a full Chevelle setup and have them put in.

Your next quandary is going to be: what kind of muffler should I use?

If its a small block car that is the way they came from the factory, 2 inch off the manafold then about 6 inches or so down it expanded out to 2.5. The pipes are nearly imposablle to make exactly as orig. Also I really dont know why you need stainless steel on exhaust on a car that is never going to see winter, the cold rolled steel exhaust has been on my car for 10 years and barley showing any rust at all. Just a thought. I will not be useing stainless on mine when I do the exhaust over. Steve

X2 on aluminized pipe. I have Hedman headers on my 454 I had a local shop build a 2 1/2 system that included a x crossover with me supplying Magnaflow mufflers. If I ever need to replace it I was going to try the full Magnaflow system. David

X2 on aluminized pipe. I have Hedman headers on my 454 I had a local shop build a 2 1/2 system that included a x crossover with me supplying Magnaflow mufflers. If I ever need to replace it I was going to try the full Magnaflow system. David

So if I go with the headers, who sells a good, pre-bent system?  I am looking for a system I can put on myself...I do not have a the ability to bend pipe nor do I own (yet) a welder so I am looking for something that will just bolt on.  Still not sure about the headers though :confused:

Magnaflow is one. I haven't had any actual experience with installing one however. On my 1967 Firebird I did install a Flowmaster kit and was very impressed with the fit and quality but not the drone. David

I have a 2 1/2 in exhaust system for sale, no clamps, all welds have been taper ground and smoothed including the flowmasters. This complete system has just been Jet-Hot coated with an unlimited lifetime warranty. This system is still bubble wrapped , this is a dual exhaust system that turns down behind the rear tires. This is the system that was on our show car before Stainless works got a hold to it. absolute show quality!

I have a 2 1/2 in exhaust system for sale, no clamps, all welds have been taper ground and smoothed including the flowmasters. This complete system has just been Jet-Hot coated with an unlimited lifetime warranty. This system is still bubble wrapped , this is a dual exhaust system that turns down behind the rear tires. This is the system that was on our show car before Stainless works got a hold to it. absolute show quality!

Was this a header system or manifold? 

Do you have any pictures? 

Shorty headers, send me a text to 336-662-3377 , I may go to the shop today and unpackage 1 side and take pictures. This is pickup only and located in Summerfield NC.

I understand, that would be a rather long evening drive. The system is to long to ship. The system only had 1 inch to spare in Jet-Hots oven. Just looked at invoice, $850 to coat. And 60 hours prep time before coating. an easy $1750 invested. Will take $750

Yes Larry, it certainly would. You have seen this system. To me, aside from our full polished Stainless works system, it is the best looking exhaust system that I have ever seen on a car