Almost a blank canvas

benny black

She's a 400sb AT. I want a 12 sec quarter and a autocross contender. I have some parts for the 400. I have Vortec heads with ferrea valves and steam holes, air gap intake,comp cams xe274, com cams 1.6 roller tips, 1" spacer, Holley street avenger 770 carb, ceramic coated Hedman headers, flow master mufflers, X pipe HEI ignition and 50,000 volt coil. I kinda copied a build from an old car craft build. Mind you non of this is installed. Right now the car has been parked and not ran since 2008. NEEDS dished pistons, crank ideas, oil pan and pump ideas, fuel pump ideas, radiator, fans, i want the best bang for the buck. Not to say money is no obstacle but I have realistic money set aside to put into this project. OTHER NEEDS front and back suspension. Right now she has factory front and rear sway bars, factory boxed rear control arms. I was thinking coil overs... I hear viking. Or air bags... I do want it low to the ground. I'll need a manual transmission 5 or 6 speed (I want it to fit in the existing stock center console) quality clutch, drive line aluminum or not... rear end definitely posi but what gears and upgraded axles. Big disc breaks all the way around and some cool deep dish wheels with as wide as possible meats. I plan on using a 70 front bumper and making those turn signals into fog lamps. My side marker lights are already shaved and it has no trim except for the chrome around the windows and the chrome on the doors up by the windows which I believe is a custom option, it has power locks and windows,cruise control, bucket seats, interior lighting package, power side mirror. I will keep the MC shield on the grill and trunk and chrome bumpers but that's about it. I want to upgrade the gauges too and I'll need the pedal assembly for a manual. I'll probably put in some 5 point harnesses but want to keep the factory seats just re upholstery with extra supports to keep me in my seat. I wouldn't mind updating my alternator to get rid of the voltage regulator, moving the battery to the rear... gel? Fuel pump and tank ideas. Possible super charger later on and fuel injection is intriguing. I want electric exhaust cut outs. Should I go with a 2" cowl hood? Fiberglass what I can for weight? Give me your opinions and what's been tried and true for you. I don't mind buying used if I can verify it's authenticity, quality and reliability. Someone's mistake can be my gain. I want the lights updated to LED as well like the street beast on the tv show street outlaws. Please chime in and lets get a list put together... I'll get it pre approved by you all and then start ordering and shopping for the best price new and or used.

Wow, that's a hefty to do/want list bud...

Only piece of advice I can give you is from my own experience from modifying many cars and that is to separate that list and concentrate on one aspect of the car at a time.

For example, when I bought my Monte I wanted to do the suspension, wheels, interior and body. Over the last winter I concentrated on just the interior and got that done, now ill drive and enjoy it for the summer. Next winter I'll do the body, after that, suspension...

If you try and accomplish that list all in one shot I think you'll end up over your head and with many different things started and not finished...

Ofcourse this is just how I operate, but why not start with what you have and go from there. Sounds like you have some engine parts already, seems like a good place to start!

• Like 1

X2 on doing it by steps. Don't down the car for long periods of time. It is very easy for these big projects to go from a car to a storage shelf lol. As far as rear gears it depends on what transmission you end up with but most guys with an overdrive seem to lean towards a 3.73. The engine combo you are going for will be a very fun street engine with a lot of torque build the rest of the drivetrain with that in mind. David

P.s. To say it another way I agree with the above. Start with the engine and do what it takes to get it safely driving ( brakes, suspension and steering ) don't be afraid to have the stock parts in place while you drive it as long as they are in good shape.