just found I have trunk release option . please help

Hello All. I was at a car show today. I have had my car well over 5 years and gentleman (also a FGMCC member here in Wisconsin ) showed me I have trunk release option which I was told was rare. However I do have a 72 custom z03 option car. I looked all over for a release but thought it was a yellow button. I have a very original car but my 72 has a rod that triggers the release. Just found out today and it works! Not sure if the yellow button stopped working and was replaced??? Or were some 72s equipped this way. I attached a photo.

post-1123-0-89741100-1495937664_thumb.jpg

Eric I also have a custom Z03 (wish I had that option). I think that button was a grey color, but I could be wrong and someone else will chime in with the correct info.  Great option!!!

Hi Eric, 1970 was Dark Green and 71/72 was Yellow as you guessed. If you want I have a Spare Yellow Button Power Trunk release ?

The button is yellow with the circular housing that says Trunk on it across the curved top and again on the curved bottom, with the standard two prongs on the rear.

My 71SS has the Power Trunk Option and it's button is Yellow in the glovebox in the exact same place

Darren

post-76-0-26790800-1495978850_thumb.jpg

My 71 trunk release button is dark green.

I ordered it as an option because my dad's 66 Olds 98 had one (vac operated) and I was still delivering newspapers so I opened my trunk all the time.

Bruce

that is really neat Bruce,  I think when we have discussed in recent that Our 71's were only built a week apart. maybe you had a left over 70 button strange....

Darren

Darren,

My car was built in Oshawa, May 1971.

Perhaps it was left over but that's about 9 months.

Bruce

Thank you all for the response. And thank you Joeseph for all your help. Great seeing you at the car show! I think I will try and get that yellow button. Darren I can send you a Pm and maybe arrange something?? Those shouldn't be too difficult to install I wouldn't think.

Hi Eric, yours in your monte now is held in with a large Collar nut by the looks of it. So that should just unthread and slide out through the factory hole and pop off the two wires. 

The yellow button just pushes through the hole from inside the glove box once the wires are popped back on, it will almost snap into place as the housing with have 4 butterfly wings that will fold in as you push the button and housing through the hole and then the wings pop open once pushed in tight and thats it. No speed nut or collar nut.

Send me a PM with the full Name and address Eric and I will fire it off to you Free of charge Pal, Just pay for Mail.

Yes Bruce, mine was also Oshawa and the 4th week of April and with the GM strike. lots of weird stuff between our cars in 71, yours, Larry"s, Mine and Liam's. almost all a week apart yet differences.

Darren 

Hi Eric, yours in your monte now is held in with a large Collar nut by the looks of it. So that should just unthread and slide out through the factory hole and pop off the two wires. 

The yellow button just pushes through the hole from inside the glove box once the wires are popped back on, it will almost snap into place as the housing with have 4 butterfly wings that will fold in as you push the button and housing through the hole and then the wings pop open once pushed in tight and thats it. No speed nut or collar nut.

Send me a PM with the full Name and address Eric and I will fire it off to you Free of charge Pal, Just pay for Mail.

Yes Bruce, mine was also Oshawa and the 4th week of April and with the GM strike. lots of weird stuff between our cars in 71, yours, Larry"s, Mine and Liam's. almost all a week apart yet differences.

Darren 

We used to say "Never buy a vehicle made on a Friday or Monday".  They are in to big of a hurry on Friday so that they can get an early start on the Week End.  And on Monday when they returned, were to hung over to hurry...........    :k

• Like 1

Hey Steve, yes that is definately not a Dealer install button nor a Factory button. Thats a "I want a power trunk option so I am adding it to the best of my ability with this brown looking button" :)

The Dealer and Factory buttons will be identical as they are one in the same, the location on yours is incorrect as the location of Erics is correct and it was an option and would show up on your build sheet. If it was dealer installed then it wont show up on your build sheet but it would be in the right place and have the correct button.

Darren

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Darren (LS5) for sending me the correct trunk button. Proud to be a FGMCC member and the genorosity and knowledge shared by all is amazing. It fits, works, and looks awesome. Since the car is in very original type condition it's great to finish it off with the correct button. Installation seemed very easy initially but these buttons are sure made to fit in there tight so there is no play. After minor turning and twisting she popped right

In. I attached a couple pics of old release and new one.

post-1123-0-03436700-1496928865_thumb.jpg

post-1123-0-69619400-1496928909_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is a good post, thanks to Darren and Bruce. How does the power get to the trunk lid? Any pics of how factory runs it? Assuming trunk release only gets power when switch activated. How was power run to trunk light?

post-307-0-02727000-1509302350_thumb.jpg

The trunk release would get its ground from being bolted. The positive 12VDC would run from the glove box button, under the carpet, into the trunk and to the release. The trunk light power would come from a positive 12VDC harness wire in the trunk.

rob

My 1971 trunk switch is a red wire (from the fuse box "batt" terminal) to the switch, then out comes a green wire under the driver side carpet (I believe with all the other wires) to the trunk lid then to the release latch.

The trunk light power feed wire, I believe, was there hanging under the rear deck area, left side by the torsion bars / speakers, I plugged in the light (bought at the Chevy dealer in 1971) that had a ~ 4 foot wire. Don't remember the color, maybe Brown?? (Hot all the time)

Bruce

Both of my '70s have the yellow button in the correct location according to the Factory Assembly Manual. 

Of course, that option does not appear on either Build Sheet because they are both courtesy of Klassic Keyless since I opted for the electric trunk release button with both keyless entry systems.  You can also order just the trunk release kit separate from the power door lock system.  As you can see in the photo below, the Klassic Keyless kits come with very clear, color photo illustrated instructions. 

post-567-0-20853000-1509309210_thumb.jpg

Installation requires trimming a very small 1/4" x 1" strip of metal from the right rear edge of the trunk latch housing and then running a single power wire from the power latch, through the inside of the trunk lid, out and around the driver's side trunk hinge, through the rear bulkhead, under the rear seat, along and under the driver's side sill plate and up behind the driver's kick panel to the fuse panel area.  The ground side of the power circuit is accomplished with a sshort ground wire attached to one of the three screws that secure the power latch to the trunk lid.  Of course, another wire pair must also run from the fuse panel area across and inside the dash to the right side of the glove box where the yellow/green button is installed.  The actual electrical connections at the fuse panel will depend on whether you have just a manual button or a keyless receiver in the system.

I absolutely love the power trunk locks on my '70s and use them as much, if not more, than the power door locks.  I most often use the keyless fob to remotely unlock the trunk lid but I sometimes use the manual button in the glove box if I don't have a keyless fob on me at the time. 

Anyone who wants to add this useful option to their first gen Monte should check out the quality kits offered by Klassic Keyless at www.KlassicKeyless.com or by calling owner, Tom Pelchat, at 1 (402) 502-6926.  Whether you have factory power locks or not, Tom has a kit that will convert it to keyless and there will be virtually no visible indication that it was ever installed. 

In fairness, I must warn you that installing the keyless power door lock system in a Monte that has neither factory power door locks nor power windows is a more challenging project because you have to create a wire path between each door and its respective sill.  If you already have factory power locks, you simply tap into the wires under your dash.  If you don't have factory power locks but do have power windows, you will need to remove the door panels to install the electric lock actuators but you can run the wiring through the factory cable path used by the power windows.  Either way, the end result is well worth the time and money to have a keyless system, IMO. 

My son in-law Jamie and I installed the Keyless Klassics system on my 72 and I love it. I think the only time I use my key on the trunk is when I do not have the battery connected.

My 1971 trunk switch is a red wire (from the fuse box "batt" terminal) to the switch, then out comes a green wire under the driver side carpet (I believe with all the other wires) to the trunk lid then to the release latch.

The trunk light power feed wire, I believe, was there hanging under the rear deck area, left side by the torsion bars / speakers, I plugged in the light (bought at the Chevy dealer in 1971) that had a ~ 4 foot wire. Don't remember the color, maybe Brown?? (Hot all the time)

Bruce

Bruce you seem to have the identical system to mine. Describe where the wires from inside the trunk make it into the trunk lid. Any grommets or fasteners? Thanks for your help.

Kelly,

I will try to take a picture as soon as I can. There is (I believe) a "one wire" connector, the wires went up the (inside the trunk) rear seat from the floor I believe like the speaker wires and trunk light wire.

Bruce

Here's what my trunk lid deck looks like with trunk release. The wire runs out the right side(passenger side) part of the trunk. The left side(driver side) has the trunk light wire. I'm assuming this is how it is from the factory but not sure. Here are some pics.

Here's what my trunk lid deck looks like with trunk release. The wire runs out the right side(passenger side) part of the trunk. The left side(driver side) has the trunk light wire. I'm assuming this is how it is from the factory but not sure. Here are some pics.

post-1123-0-64624100-1509415913_thumb.jpg

post-1123-0-80276200-1509415988_thumb.jpg