Are these original?

My 1970 SS has very low miliage (26,000) and is supposedly all original and mostly unmolested.  That said, the engine has chrome valve covers and the breather lid is also chrome.  I don't beleive these are original to the car. 

The guy I bought the car from says he did not put them on and he doesn't believe the previous owner would have either...the previous owner was a freind of his and was one who liked to keep his cars original.  However, his freind (the previous owner) did not buy the car new but bought it in 1976 and bought as more of a cruiser/driver (owned the car for 20 years and put 16,000 miles on it) than to be part of his garaged collection.

So can any of the knowledgeable folks here tell me definitively whether these peices are original or not?  Here are a couple of pictures.

Thanks for your help.

post-4732-0-51325900-1496840090_thumb.jpg

post-4732-0-81374400-1496840097_thumb.jpg

In the Chevrolet Parts catalog there is only one listing for valve cover and air cleaners, I don't see any options for chrome. I'm not sure that they had any options when ordering the cars new...

In the Chevrolet Parts catalog there is only one listing for valve cover and air cleaners, I don't see any options for chrome. I'm not sure that they had any options when ordering the cars new...

That's what I thought but a friend of mine is the original owner of a 1970 Corvette with a BB that has chrome valve covers.  My friend says his car came from the factory (or at least the dealer) with the chrome valve covers when he bought it new.

I'm not sure but the dealers could have had a accessory install program. Maybe someone else on the forum will chime in. I like the way they look. I also like the finish on the air ride compressor. I've started to strip the silver paint of mine and it will look like yours. I'm still looking for a set of brackets.

I'm not sure but the dealers could have had a accessory install program. Maybe someone else on the forum will chime in. I like the way they look. I also like the finish on the air ride compressor. I've started to strip the silver paint of mine and it will look like yours. I'm still looking for a set of brackets.

Yeah, might have been a dealer add on my buddy's Corvette.

How are planning to get the finish on your compressor?  My other car does not have the compressor installed but I have one.  Unfortunately, it does not look so good so I will need to try to refinish it just not sure how to get the look.

Steve, I agree with you - I don't believe there is one chance in ten thousand that those chrome pieces are original to your Monte (i.e. from the factory).   If they came from a GM assembly plant on some other BBC, it sure doesn't make them original to your SS.  

Have you been able to check the partial VIN stamped on the block near the oil filter?  Since the engine code is "T1203 CRN", we know it is a '70 Monte Carlo 454 engine built in late '69 in Tonawanda, so it is almost certain that the chrome valve covers and air cleaner lid were post-assembly "dress up" replacements.  

My observation is that there are plenty of folks (including myself!) who will opt for bling when they have no desire or intention of changing anything functionally.  What can it hurt? - looks better, works the same.  Since there are six years of unaccounted ownership of your SS, maybe it is surprising there weren't more cosmetic upgrades.

It seems to me that the quest for "originality" is a matter of degrees rather than an attainable goal. How "original" do you want your vehicle to be?  How "original" can you afford it to be?  Who else besides yourself really cares?

Maybe you should just keep the chrome pieces and claim you have a "Special Anniversary Edition" SS!   :grin:

Have you been able to check the partial VIN stamped on the block near the oil filter?  Since the engine code is "T1203 CRN", we know it is a '70 Monte Carlo 454 engine built in late '69 in Tonawanda, so it is almost certain that the chrome valve covers and air cleaner lid were post-assembly "dress up" replacements.

Yep was able to verify both the engine and transmission have the partial vin stamped...it is numbers matching.

I agree with Dennis, The Corvette and the Chevelle came with the Chrome Valve Covers and on the Drivers side rear they had what was termed as the Crushed Corner on the one side. It wasn't really crushed just a 45 slope to pass by the Power brake booster set up when changing valve cover Gaskets. The chrome lid that appears on your car was a Corvette/ Impala 427 air

cleaner lid. The chevelle Chrome lid was more Flat like Robert King is running on his Cowl hood set up on his Monte which

is the chevelle set up.

The impala 427 also used the chrome valve covers starting in 1969. Monte and Caprice used Orange valve covers and Black air cleaner lids.

But Dealer Installs would install anything you wanted on your car, We had guys back in the day order their Chevelle with power windows and not order the power door locks and then got us at the dealership to install locks later after the car arrived, just not Factory Ordered but Dealer Installed.

Darren

• 2 weeks later...