Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
dan402

Auto trans to manual swap

Hello all. I currently have a TH400 behind my 402 and would like to install a 4 speed. If anyone has a complete setup that you are willing to part with , possibly from a manual to auto swap , please direct message or call me.

Thanks , Dan Donlin

732 429 9203

Thanks for the reply Canuck . I must say i am very surprised by the lack of people unable or unwilling to help on this forum.

I am surprised that you don't find this forum to be helpful. If you follow the forum the majority of the post are people that are willing to give their time and knowledge to help others. This is a fairly small community and some people dont have the time to stay on the forums. And it looks like someone has already tried to help (Canuck) . Come to the Eastern Meet or the Western Meet or Carlisle's (mini-meet) , You would stand a very good chance of finding what you are looking for. And have the chance to meet a lot of the people that are willing to help.This is the most knowledgeable group of the First-Gen-Monte.

As for the conversion, PM farmall. He just did this conversion. I believe it cost him around $4000 and he did all the work himself. I believe he is very happy with the set-up.

Thanks Michael. I did thank Canuck , although I am not in need of information on the parts needed for the swap. I am looking for the major components, so I thought it might be better to check on this forum rather than buy junk off fleabay. 

Also , I would like to apologize for the unwilling comment. I previously owned a 68 Mustang convertible and belonged to the Vintage Mustang forum and it is a much larger forum and there are more on the road , ( just look around at any car show ) so parts are much easier to come by. I am unable to make the mini meet since I will be in Maine that week and my significant other would not find a week in Georgia appealing.

the hardest part to find will be the frame bracket for the Z bar (cross shaft) it is monte specific, do not believe if someone tells you otherwise

Sam is right.  However, I bought that bracket at Chicago muscle cars for less that $30, if I remember correctly.  The other parts that you need are not monte specific so you will be able to find them any where.  The main thing is to get the 621 bellhousing so you can run the big clutch and I would really consider putting in a 5 speed instead of a 4 speed.  I did the Muncie in mine and have since changed to a Tremec 5 speed.