Need help/opinions on stock air cleaner setup

NWmonte71

Hey everyone!  I recently added an HEI distributor and edelbrock carburetor to my otherwise stock 350cid 270hp engine. The problem now is my stock air cleaner will not clear the distributor cap and also hits the fuel inlet casting on the carburetor. I really do not want to modify the stock air cleaner or throw on a traditional chrome open element air cleaner. Is it possible that mid 70's Chevrolet air cleaners had an offset base for the HEI distributors or a large cut-out in the rear for it?  If so, I would like to connect with someone who has one lying around. I want to retain a stock appearing look, including the lid with 350 270 hp decal. Any ideas or suggestions?

post-5838-0-37191300-1497408683_thumb.jpg

post-5838-0-08214100-1497408691_thumb.jpg

Hey Chris you could keep the stock air cleaner look by grabbing the same year one off of a Corvette. They had the same air cleaner with the Crushed or slanted rear on the air cleaner housing. Corvette's had HEI and thus allowing you to keep the stock look and fit.

Darren

Chris, I have the same setup & added a 1.5" spacer (plastic) which sits on top of the carb and gave the air cleaner the clearance needed to sit properly. I believe I got it at O'Reilly Auto parts...

post-732-0-47829300-1497452317_thumb.jpg

Chris, I have the same setup & added a 1.5" spacer (plastic) which sits on top of the carb and gave the air cleaner the clearance needed to sit properly. I believe I got it at O'Reilly Auto parts...

I actually just went by my local O'Reilly Auto Parts and found a set of plastic air cleaner spacers. I am going to see if this does the trick. I think I will still be far away from the hood bottom, considering clearances.