1970 SS454 Hubcaps

Nasblu

I know the ZJ7 rally wheels where optional on 1970 SS Montes and the PH1 15x7  steel wheels where standard. My question if your car did not have rally wheels what hubcaps where available with the 1970 SS cars?

I have seen 1970 Monte Carlos SS build sheets with just PH1 listed and others with PH1 and PA3 special wheel cover.

If the car just has PH1 listed it had steel wheels and the plain hubcaps. If it had PH1 and PA3 it had the body colored caps?

Most of the 1970 SS buildsheets that I have seen either have ZJ7 rallys listed or just PH1 but I have seen a few with PA3 listed as well.  So I am assuming some 1970 SS cars, although rare had the PA3 color keyed hubcaps?

post-1259-0-71066600-1498584080_thumb.jpg

post-1259-0-35995600-1498584262_thumb.jpg

post-1259-0-06128200-1498584775_thumb.jpg

If I am not mistaken, the PH1 caps were the ones in your center picture. I, personally, call them either the "Plain Jane" or "Classic" caps. I feel they look very classy on our First Gen Monte's. They were available on I think all three years on our Monte's.

The PH3 color keyed caps were an option and available all three years and on all Monte Trim packages.

Rally Wheels were available on all three years as an option.

rob

My '70 SS Build Sheet shows both PH1 and PA3 so it must have been shipped with color coordinated wheel covers (seems a bit out of character for an SS, IMO).  Thankfully, it had rally wheels all around by the time I bought it.

RPO PH1 is for the 15X7 steel wheel, not the standard wheel cover.  According to our Tech Info section, every Z20 SS built came with RPO P90 , G70X15 White stripe tires which apparently could be mounted on the standard 15X6 wheels with the standard wheel cover (no RPO required) or on PH1 15X7 Steel Wheels (with standard or deluxe wheel covers) or on RPO ZJ7, Rally Wheels.  I have other copies of '70 SS Build Sheets that show each of those combinations.

I believe the wheel covers you show in one photo were the standard wheel cover because I have not found an RPO code for them (although there may be one).  Standard or not, I agree with Rob that they look classy on a first gen Monte.  They were on the first new '70 Monte I bought 47 years ago so I bought a nice set (that I have never used on either of my current '70s) just to preserve them.

Thanks guys! You confirmed what I was thinking about this. 1970 SS cars with the PH1 15x7 steel wheels could have the standard hubcap or the optional PA3 body colored hubcap. or Optional ZJ7 Rally Wheels. I personally like the PA3 body colored hub caps but with that said I like them all.