Tail light housing gasket?

overdrive

It seems I remember that some of our cars came with a gasket of some type between the housing and the body. Does anybody know where to get them, or at least some material to make my own?

Dan

post-339-0-79182800-1498843665_thumb.jpg

I think you are referring to the dust shields. I am sure they are available bit a quick check didn't find them. I will keep looking

rob

i saw a 66 chevelle with these last year.......hmmmmm..interested

I have the U shaped ones that attach to the bottom of the tail light housing.

They seal between the housing and the bumper. The ones I need go between the housing and the body.

Dan

I don't know if they used anything originally or not. Like ERT said, you could make your own from some gasket material. My worry would be they may retain water if it gets in there and be a bre3ding ground for rust to form.

rob

my 1970 I parted out had them. they were a thin rubber gasket that was shaped about 1 inch wide and followed the housing shape and slid over the Cast pegs in the housing where they get tightened by speed nuts. the gaskets were sandwiched between the tail of the rear 1/4 and the ext housing or tail light housing that bolted on. 

1 per side.    ********** Rubber was as thick as a Credit Card********

Darren

I think it was Home Depot that sold a sheet of rubber that you could put in your Tool Box drawer  to stop tools sliding around.

that would work almost same thickness

Darren 

Thanks, fellas. Darren, that is what I'm remembering. I must not have kept mine. I think because they tore when removing them. I believe they were probably the same rubber that is used under the door handles, locks, etc., used for the same reason. I may try to find some rubber, maybe not. I think they can be eliminated with no issues.

Dan

• 1 month later...