350 heads

mikeringland

My 72's engine has never been touched from what the original owner told me. The valve seals and possibly valve guides are worn. I'm looking to have the heads redone. I'm not looking to really add any performance, just stock. What is my best choice:

Remove the original heads and have a shop rebuild them?

or

Buy new stock heads and bolt those on?

Mike

I agree with Sam, not only are you starting with a set of heads you know the history on but on top of that you will know the quality of the parts going into the rebuild. The final positive is you can know the reputation of the shop doing the rebuild work on the heads.

rob

Make sure he installs Stellite valve seats on the exhaust side. that way you can run unleaded and not ruin the valves/valve seat . I'd also invest in some roller tipped stamped rockers like Comp.Cams sells. Easier on the valvetrain. Your going to have some money invested but remember, it's not miles per gallon, it's smiles per mile

post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

!!

Definitely rebuild what you have. Bring them to a machine shop you trust and have them do the work needed. Lots of times even brand new performance heads have valve seat issues straight out of the box. You will have a much better cylinder head if you either rebuild what you have, or get a set of bare heads and have a machine shop set them up properly with good parts.