Floor insulation

MonteMack

Old stock floor insulation is falling off and chipping away, read a few forums suggesting refectix and dynamat etc, but is that all you put down before you lay the carpet? Or should I put some sort of sealant down first? Cheers

After the sound deading, I would lay down some carpet padding, I used jute automotive carpet padding. Some carpet kits come with it as a backing.

When I replaced my car carpeting in 2013 I used ACC for my carpet and really am pleased with the quality and ease of installation. I payed extra and got the mass backing on the carpet. It also came with the jute backing that Rod is talking about. Before any of that was installed I put in a Dynamat clone and it has worked out very nicely. With the old carpet the radio had to be set on about 22 to hear it at all plus the floors got quite warm for the exhaust. After the new installation of everything we can now drive down the road have a conversation without yelling and here the radio with a setting of 9 on the volume control. A very noticeable improvement plus I still have my Flowmaster 2 1/2" exhaust which sounds awesome and the floors are so much cooler that the AC can be turned down.

If you want to seal your floor, Herculiner(yes,you can use it inside too). Sound deadner and sealer of the floor.make sure  you cover up what you don't want it on. then the dynamat or equivalent. there are different brands with different values. They also have "Lizard Skin" .spray on sound deadner. I'd use the mat for the quietness of the material. I have only the back half of mine done with dynamat behind rear seat and up to the back of the buckets. very noticeable improvement to the ears.

post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

I agree with Larry, with my 454 big block,and stock exhaust, I have been dealing with the heat these motors give off,for 35+ years,so I went with dynamat extreme, and spend the extra money to get the acc carpet with the mass backing ,the difference is unreal ,it is a lot cooler in the car and can now here my radio with out have to shout to have a conversation.