Engine idles high after letting off gas.

o_rod

Hey guys,

Experiencing something new lately on my monte. As I'm cruising at light or part throttle and I let off the gas, the car will continue at that cruising rpm or it'll idle higher than normal. The only way to get it back down is by blipping the throttle, sometimes twice... My cable is not binding and works fine and my return springs seem to be doing there job, It's an edelbrock performer 1407 caburator as well. What gives?

Choke and fast iddle cam issues would be my first choice. Specially if blipping the throttle corrects it, it's usually how the fast iddle cam is unloaded.

Interesting... I no longer have a choke on this carb, I removed it and sealed the shaft holes. It ran fine like this until recently. Still learning carbs, but I'll research the fast idle cam, thanks

if it's not the fast idle cam, the throttle plates might be hanging up, could be carbon build up, the carb warped, shaft bushings worn, or the plates moved on the shaft

Seems my distributors vac canister was causing a nice vac leak. Removed it, readjusted timing/idle and seems nicer. Hopefully it stops raining soon so I can take it out and see if it fixed it.

It also seems that I removed the high idle cam when I removed the choke so no issues there lol