Question for Bill (502ci)

Jared Richey

How well have your electric cutouts lasted and do you like them would you recommend them? I have a guy I know local he said he has changed his about two or three times because the motors keep burning up I want to avoid that.

I can not remember the brand name of the ones on my Monte, DMH maybe...I would have to look at my old Cardomain sight as I have it listed there but whatever they are they do not make them anymore. I will say they worked flawlessly until a couple years ago at the Eastern meet I snagged my exhaust at that one restaurant parking lot and destroyed one of them. I can still open and close it manually pushing the flap though.

I do have a QTP on my truck and I will say I have replaced it three times after it froze up from corrosion...but then again I drive it in Nothern Ohio Winters with salt. This last time I replaced it I applied heavy grease all over it and it seems to be doing okay going on it's third winter coming up.

I am sure other people here can give their opinion of what they got. I may have been one of the first people to use them when they came out but I have seen alot more people here using them now.

Electric cutouts were the best "toy" that I ever installed on my Monte.  Mine never stayed seated as a "complete seal" when closed.  I dont know if any brand would do that from the start or for very long.  Heat will kill them.  I had mine on for a 1.5 years plus before selling the car.  If I could do it again I would.  Nothing like opening them up when next to big group of Harleys/bikers or even a Cop.  The Bikers loved it.  The Cop gave me a reserved smile with eye twinge which meant, "close em up". :rofl:

I do forget the brand but know I bought them from Summit.  - Dave

I talked to the local muffler shop owner at the cruise in last night and he recommended QTP they are $450 from summi, but he said he has not had any trouble.

Edit.. auto correct wrong abbreviation

Edit from above he recommended QTP.

I tried to look the part up that was on your original post and could find nothing...now it makes sense

• 2 weeks later...