Can't ID two wires in engine compartment

monte70z20

Looking at my engine compartment wiring and found two wires unplugged.  Thought they connected together but both have power.  Picture is hard to tell but they are black with a purple stripe.  Car is a 70 Monte Carlo with A/C.  A/C not connected so thought they may have something to do with that.  Picture attached.  The wiring diagrams I looked at do not show this wire.  Thanks.

post-1324-0-26376500-1502752463_thumb.jpg

The 1970 wiring diagram does not show a black wire with a purple stripe.

There are two purple wires used, one is the start wire to the starter and the other goes from the blower relay to the blower motor. Both are 12 gauge.

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm pretty sure they go to the fuse block at the firewall in the engine compartment.  At this point they are somewhere in the group of wires that are part of the right-side(passenger) of the fuse block (if that makes sense).  I can't tell exactly where they connect on that part of the fuse block.  They are not the starter or blower relay, Those wires are connected.  They are black with a purple stripe. Same wire that Rock posted a picture in his reply plus there is the other one that I show in my original picture.  Here is another couple of pictures  of just the one wire.

post-1324-0-72507800-1502766181_thumb.jpg

post-1324-0-88582200-1502766203_thumb.jpg

Sorry John, I got wrapped up in my shop fabbing up some stuff, I didn't get to the car today.

And tomorrow, some pesky work related stuff is yet again interrupting my wrenching on The Monte but Friday I'll be all over it.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul:

Thanks for taking the picture.  Hard to tell where those wires go into it.  I have my inner fenders off on mine.  I'm redoing the front end right now.  Once I get to the driver's side I'll have a closer look and see if I can locate where they are.  I'll try to take a picture and post it once I get a chance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a spare '70 harness and I checked for the 20 awg black/pink wires at the firewall that you are trying to identify. Using an ohm meter, I found they are one and the same, along with the wire (same color and gauge) that's right beside the purple #12 wire that's in the passenger side part of the bulkhead connector, for the starter solenoid. My wiring diagram shows it goes to the TCS system, but it's shown as a pink wire, not black/pink. I believe that to be a typo on the diagram.

The wires entering the bulkhead connector don't go directly to the fuse panel. The diagram shows there are 2 parts to the connector and fuse panel that attach to the firewall under the dash, and there are. The 3rd part is the female part that is under the hood.

Dan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...