71 Monte rear quarter window trim

bettare

I would like to replace the rubber seal that runs horizontally at the end of the quarter window.  It seals the front window from the back quarter window.  It has a chrome trim that is rolled over at the top and is open at the bottom.  To remove the whole unit, you tap it out with a piece of wood again the chrome edge.  The question is due you have to buy both the chrome trim and the rubber as one piece or can you just buy the rubber insert and pry the old one out and insert the new rubber?  OPG sells the unit, however they are $80 per unit plus shipping.  That's close to two $200 for both windows.  Any ideas??

I would like to replace the rubber seal that runs horizontally at the end of the quarter window.  It seals the front window from the back quarter window.  It has a chrome trim that is rolled over at the top and is open at the bottom.  To remove the whole unit, you tap it out with a piece of wood again the chrome edge.  The question is due you have to buy both the chrome trim and the rubber as one piece or can you just buy the rubber insert and pry the old one out and insert the new rubber?  OPG sells the unit, however they are $80 per unit plus shipping.  That's close to two $200 for both windows.  Any ideas??

Are you looking for the window felt that connects to the door on either side of the glass, or the rubber strip that runs vertically between the quarter window and door glass?

If your car has just the chrome bead, I don't believe you can buy the rubber separate.  If you had the wide molding then you would have to.

OPGI seems to almost always be the most expensive vendor.  The Parts Place has them (WS2446M for repop, WS2447M for OEM) for less than OPGI, Dixie Restoration Depot does as well.

Yes, it is the vertical not horizontal rubber strip that runs between the quarter window and door glass.  It is chrome plated and has a rubber strip inside.  The chrome is like new, however the rubber is pretty will petrified.  I would like to just take out the old rubber and slide in a new one if they are available.

Usually the rubber and the chrome pieces are sold separately. Also they are usually sold as a pair, not individually so you may want to check that listing again.

rob

Lutty's Chevy Warehouse has the chrome pieces for $69 for the pair and the rubber Seals for $19 for the pair.

If you are just replacing the rubber Seals, once you remove the old ones and have the channel cleaned out, coat the channel and the portion of the rubber seal that goes into the channel with Dawn Dish Soap and this will make them slide in much easier.

rob

• Like 1

I used the one's like OPGI is selling and had to replace them again this past year. They had a metal pc. inside and that became bent and caused an air leak. I bought some new ones from Ausley's at Carlisle in June and they were like the one's I took off of the car when we redid it in 2013. The air leak stopped and I am very happy with them.

• Like 1

Update on the vertical weather stripping.  I was able to gently use a block of wood and mallet and tap out the chrome molding/rubber from the quarter panel window.  You start at the top where the chrome rolls over the top.  Once the chrome weather stripping starts to move off the window you can pull it the rest of the way by hand.  Once on the bench I was able to put the rubber stripping in a vise and just pull the chrome away from the rubber.  I put a little soap as suggested and the new ones slipped right on.  I was able to tap the new weather stripping with the old chrome back on the window.  There is a layer of very thin rubber that stays on the window edge that keeps the chrome from moving on the window.

You really didn't need to remove the chrome piece to do this.  The rubber pieces can be replaced without removing the chrome.  Glad it worked out for you and the dish soap worked well.

rob