1970 Monte Wiring Diagrams

Rob Peters

• 1 year later...

Rick,

Regarding the numbers I am wondering i that would be the gauge of the wire but I would not swear to it.

The letters are usually color codes for the wire.  Unfortunately I have seen many charts for the colors.  When I was working on electronic equipment....  Blue= B, Yellow= Y,  Brown= N,   Black= K, Red= R Etc. Etc.    Also, we used 10 colors with each color being a number so if a wiring diagram showed a three digit number the wire may have three stripes with each stripe indicating a number.

With these Monte Diagrams showing letters look like B= Black, BRN= Brown, LBL= Light Blue, OR= Orange, DBL= Dark Blue, LG= Light Green.  Wires with something like this.....  B/DBL/Y  would be a stripped wire with the wire more than likely be a black wire with a dark blue and yellow stripe.  

Also, go to this link and you will see a general wire color chart and looking at the chart it looks like my assumption of the wire number may be correct as per my thinking that it may be the gauge of the wire:  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/chevy-color-code-for-dummies.343068/

rob

The number is for the gauge of the wire. Letter is the color of that wire. Sometimes there may be another number first, that'll usually be the 'circuit' number. Later manuals seem to show some of the connectors and the slots will have a number in there (the above prints don't show them there).  There is also a page in the manual with all the circuits listed. In my 1972 Service manual they go from 2 to 340. The 1970 manual may be different? See the connectors below for an example.

72 monte 1.pdf

72 monte.pdf

72 monte2.pdf

72 monte3.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/17/2017 at 8:34 PM, Rob Peters said:

Attached are the diagrams for the 1970 Monte.  

Hello Rob, My is Rick and I was wondering if by any chance you can e-mail me copies of the diagrams. I'm having trouble getting my dash cluster to work. the book I have is for a 71 Monte and the wires are different in color. Thank you Rick

1) 1970 Engine Compartment Wiring.jpg

2)  1970 Monte Instrument Panel Wiring.jpg

3) 1970 Monte Carlo  Instrument Panel Wiring Continued.jpg

4) 70 Monte Carlo Body and Rear Wiring Circuits.jpg

5) 70 Monte Carlo Comfortron Under Hood Wiring.jpg

6) 70 Monte Carlo Comfortron Wiring UnderDash.jpg

7) 70 Monte Comfortton Wiring Diagram.jpg

8)  70 Monte Carlo Comfortron Vacuum Diagram.jpg

9) 70 Monte Carlo Four Season Wiring and Vacuum Diagram.jpg

10) 70 Monte Carlo Electric Door and Seat Back Lock Diagram.jpg

11) 70 Monte Carlo Two Door Power Window Circuit Diagram.jpg

12) 70 Monte Carlo 6-Way Seat Circuit Diagram.jpg

13) 70 Monte Carlo 4 Way Seat Circuit.jpg

On 1/27/2019 at 7:21 PM, jft69z said:

The number is for the gauge of the wire. Letter is the color of that wire. Sometimes there may be another number first, that'll usually be the 'circuit' number. Later manuals seem to show some of the connectors and the slots will have a number in there (the above prints don't show them there).  There is also a page in the manual with all the circuits listed. In my 1972 Service manual they go from 2 to 340. The 1970 manual may be different? See the connectors below for an example.

72 monte 1.pdf 216.04 kB · 10 downloads

72 monte.pdf 269.22 kB · 2 downloads

72 monte2.pdf 584.7 kB · 3 downloads

72 monte3.pdf 1.04 MB · 3 downloads

• 1 year later...

Hi I have a 1972 Monte 402 car

Can you email me the power window circuit , every time I print its to grey to read. Maybe if you can scan to email it will print clear. 

Mike,

I have individual photos of the 14 pages of the 1970 Wiring Diagram that can be edited for brightness and contrast.  I just sent you the page containing the Power Window diagram via email (also shown below). 

I am not certain that it is the same diagram for the '72 but I installed a complete power window setup from a '72 into one of my '70s and everything appeared to be the same.  Good luck.

P1042148 (3).JPG

• 6 months later...
On 8/17/2017 at 7:34 PM, Rob Peters said:

Attached are the diagrams for the 1970 Monte.  

1) 1970 Engine Compartment Wiring.jpg

2)  1970 Monte Instrument Panel Wiring.jpg

3) 1970 Monte Carlo  Instrument Panel Wiring Continued.jpg

4) 70 Monte Carlo Body and Rear Wiring Circuits.jpg

5) 70 Monte Carlo Comfortron Under Hood Wiring.jpg

6) 70 Monte Carlo Comfortron Wiring UnderDash.jpg

7) 70 Monte Comfortton Wiring Diagram.jpg

8)  70 Monte Carlo Comfortron Vacuum Diagram.jpg

9) 70 Monte Carlo Four Season Wiring and Vacuum Diagram.jpg

10) 70 Monte Carlo Electric Door and Seat Back Lock Diagram.jpg

11) 70 Monte Carlo Two Door Power Window Circuit Diagram.jpg

12) 70 Monte Carlo 6-Way Seat Circuit Diagram.jpg

13) 70 Monte Carlo 4 Way Seat Circuit.jpg

In the eleventh photo we can see the diagram of the electrical routing for the power windows, and in that diagram we can see the window switch supply voltage comes from the 14AWG red wire with white tracer. Do you know where that wire is fed it’s voltage from? I have the manual that these are pictured from and can’t find where this wire is supplied voltage.

I’m trying to clean up some of the wiring in my engine bay and there is a 10 AWG orange wire with a black tracer that taps into the battery positive side of the horn relay then runs to a junction block on the firewall near the emergency brake mounting location, from there it attaches to what’s shown on the electrical diagram as the folding top switch, as my Monte does not have a folding top it attaches to a 1 to 3 splitter under the dash, gets wrapped up in the harness and then there is a 6 pin connector that runs down to the rear windows through the floor. It doesn’t show the orange as supplying the battery voltage to the windows but with this unplugged the windows do not operate.

• 1 year later...