Vinyl top - Yes or No?

My 72 Monte came with a black vinyl top, and the guy I got it from a couple weeks ago, had removed it many years ago, and shaved the pins down. I'll be repainting my car soon and would like opinions of whether to install a new vinyl top or not? The roof itself will be coated to help protect it from any moisture issues in the future if a vinyl top is installed.

Thanks!

What ever you would like. My 72 came with the vinyl and one of the previous owners removed it and when we did the repaint in 2013 we left it off. The shop that redid mine did grind out all of that flexible filler that was in the top and roof joint and filled it with Duraglass to eliminate any future problems. 

Doug I saw you ask this on Facebook. It comes down to taste. A factory two will need the trim to break the two color apart. My 72 left the Maryland plant without the vinyl top but the rear window channel was completely gone which is odd for a non-vinyl car. I had a complete trim vinyl top trim for a 71-72 which I restored with the painted edge. I will be using double sided tape to hold the trim down vs welding in the pins and tracking down the clips.

You actually can get the pins that will screw in. No welding needed. I really like the look of a Monte with a vinyl top.  These old cars do not see the water they did years ago. Now they hardly ever get wet. So rust issues usually are not a problem at all after a restoration. My 71 has one and I really like the look of it.

Dan is right, you can get the screw in pics for the trim. I also like the contrasting color look on the Monte. If you don't want the vinyl but like the contrasting color you always have the option of going with an original style two tone paint scene. Mine is an original two-tone painted car and unless people look closely they think mine has a vinyl top

rob

My 70 Monte never had a vinyl top from the factory. I've always wanted a Blue First Gen with a black vinyl top. I found a parts car with the halo top trim and installed it all into my car. I prefer the vinyl top. Just my flavor.

I'm a vinyl top guy as well. Two of mine have tops on them, the third is missing it. It almost seems naked if you will, kinda like wearing a tuxedo with tennis shoes.

I got the complete vinyl top molding trim from the 70 Monte that I parted out, and I saved all the molding trim plastic clips too. But a guy pointed me towards the screws that replace the pins, which I think will be a much easier process to install a new vinyl top if I go that route.