Vinyl top help?

overdrive

Hi. I need a little help. I painted our 71 and we want to put a new vinyl top on. I used clearcoat and I'm wondering if I should lightly sand the roof before starting the install. If so, should I use a red Scotchbrite? Thanks. Dan.

Guest 71SSMC

Dan,

I put my vinyl top on myself with the help of a friend. I did not scuff the clearcoat, the clearcoat protects the basecoat which is basically crap and the 3M super trim adhesive would proabably react to it.

I snapped a center line down the center of the roof and on the back of the vinyl. Did the top one side at a time, and the sail panels one at a time then the filler panel last.

I bought 5 cans of 3M super trim adhesive and used 4 and a small amount out of the 5th can.

Hope this helps, I know I was kind of in the dark before I did mine and after talking to a few people who did vinyl before I figured I could do it, and it came out great.

It does look great! And so does the rest of your car.

Thanks for the reply. I've put on a convertible top, so I figured the vinyl can't be bad. I'm going to start it and then a friend that did them at a glass shop is going to help me finish it, if I ask him to. Your tips will help. I need to get 2 more cans of adhesive. Thanks again. Dan.

HEY DAN,

I'M GOING TO PUT MY OWN VINYL TOP ON ALSO.

WHEN YOU DID YOURS AFTER THE ADHESIVE, DID YOU STRETCH THE VINYL AT ALL OR JUST LAY IT IN PLACE?

ALSO DID YOU USE ANYTHING TO FLATTEN ANY WRINKLES?

SHOULD I HEAT THE VINYL BEFORE APPLYING IT?

ANY OTHER HINTS WILL BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS

FRANKIE T.

the vinly top on my came off of another monte the temp was about 95° or so and it came off in one piece. when we put it on we sprays the top of the car with the 3m glue and then the vinly top. got a few holes of no wrinkes what so every.

Guest 71SSMC

Frankie,

When you get your vinyl unfold it and lay it on a table for a few days.

Lay it in the sun for a few hours to help relax the wrinkles before you install it.

Spray the glue on half the roof and the vinyl and down the sail panel a couple of inches.

Start in the center and have someone hold up the side and lightly tug it as you work it smooth with your hands.

Do the same on both sides then do each sail panel, I used a felt backed vinyl and did a little stretching to get it smooth. Do the filler panel last. I had to redo one of the factory seams because there was a little too much material between the sails.

When you trim off the excess vinyl make sure you leave enough material so the clips hold it down. It will shrink after a few times sitting in the sun so you want to make sure that it's under the chrome far enough.

Also I bought those cheap plastic drop cloths from home depot and covered the entire car with them and used the blue masking to tape off the area to be glued that way no glue ouerspray gets on your ride.

Do it inside or under something out of the sunlight

Darrell

Darrell, we must have done it right. We used the same amount of glue that you did. grin It came out nice and it was pretty simple. Thanks for the help.

267558982.jpg

267558988.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. smile We're quite a bit further along now, but not quite done. We're battling an oil leak and I haven't taken any pics lately. It's licensed and insured now and we took it to town Fri. nite and discovered it leaked bove idle. Lost 1/2 a quart in about 25 mi but I got it slowed way down today. Might have it stopped completely. I'll check it tomorrow. This is the first time I've used a 1 pc pan seal, but most of the leak was caused by a junky chrome timing cover that didn't center the seal on the harmonic balancer. frown

• 2 weeks later...

I am about to put the vinyl top back on my car also and have some questions.

I looked up 3M Super Trim Adhesive and I see two size cans, 21oz and 18oz. When you say you used 5 cans, which size can are you talking about? I don't want to run out by getting the wrong size.

Does this adhesive spray like a "mist" or a "string" spray? I want to make sure it lays flat without any bumps.

Thanks!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike. We used 5 cans of #08090 and they were 19 oz. cans. It comes out stringy if you shake it well. Use 3 coats like it says on the can.

Mikstudie, Thank You. smile Your car looks great, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest K.J Parker

Hello Guys,

I am sort of new here, I have been a member of this website before but have now rejoined.

Anyways a piece of my Halo top vinyl top trim is broken. It is a pot metal piece that can't really be repaired. By any chance would anyone know where to find this piece? Perhaps a good used piece??

Here is a link to the piece..

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1493292#post1493292 Trim piece picture

That top looks awsome! I'll be glad to get back to the states and make mine look like that too. My top has been off for years now, but after I get it repainted, the top is going back on smile