Converted to HEI now tach is not working?

MC1970U

Did you plug in the wire for the tach?  There should be two wires plugged into the cap. One is your power wire the other is for the tach. 

Sure did.

When I installed my HEI a couple years back I had disconnected the tach wire from the original points coil/distributor and because I did not have the proper plug/end to fit into the HEI cap for the tach wire I let it hang. I recently put the correct push on plug/end onto what I thought/think is the wire going to the tach so I could properly install it into the HEI. No movement what so ever on the tach. 

One thing that has me baffled is there are two separate brown wires coming out of the firewall several inch's from one another? I installed the brown wire that had the kind of crimped end that I have seen many times on wires going to oem coils. I am pretty sure it was on the wire from the tach that went to the coil. I don't know what the other brown wire is for?

Now my memory could be shaky and that connecter on the one wire could be there to throw me off? After getting the interior done I so don't want to tear into the dash again!    

Thanks,

s