How many first gens will Irma claim?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MCfan

MCfan

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,587 posts
  • LocationPunta Gorda, FL (winter); Crosslake, MN (summer)
  • Legal Name:Dennis Bengtson

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

As Irma bears down on all of Florida and SW Florida in particular, I am sickened by the almost certainty of losing my beloved 402/4-speed '70 Monte Carlo to Irma's wrath. Sure, it's well covered by Hagerty insurance and it may survive the high winds (unless my garage doors breach), but the massive storm surge now predicted for the coastal areas could easily put it under 3 to 6 feet of salt water.

Knowing that we have several other FGMCC members living on both Florida coasts, I wonder how many others may be at risk of wind or water damage?

All of the hurricane track models earlier in the week had the eye going up the east coast of Florida so the storm surge predictions for the gulf coast were much lower and no threat to my home or vehicles in Punta Gorda, right on Charlotte Harbor.  Being still in Minnesota for the summer, I didn't see the need to fly to Florida and put the Monte into that insane evacuation exercise - not sure I could have bought and carried enough gas to get out of the state by then anyway.  So ... it is what it is and I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

In the meantime, I am trying to occupy my mind by finally installing a Keyless Klassic door and trunk lock system in my '70 SS here in MN.

Dennis

sml_gallery_567_4_470590.jpg                                     sml_gallery_567_4_3184004.jpg

1970 matching #'s 402/M20 4-speed/3.31 12-bolt Posi                1970 SS454/TH400/2.56 12-bolt Posi
Punta Gorda, FL                                                                        Crosslake, MN

#2 LS5

LS5

Reformed Chevelleaholic now a Montemaniac

• Members

• 1,758 posts
  • LocationAirdrie Alberta Canada
  • Legal Name:Darren Bull

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

Send them up here Dennis, I will make room for them until you are ready to take them back....

Sad to hear and see on the news, take care to all in those down there

Darren

1970 Monte parts car but not for chevelles... :rofl:

1971 Monte Carlo SS  CDN Built

1967 C10 Short bed fleetside CDN Built.

2015 Z71 SIlverado 
FullSizeRender-21_zpslonms5sk.jpg

#3 Rob Peters

Rob Peters

Retired Vice President FGMCC

• Administrators

• 15,255 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa. USA
  • Legal Name:Rob Peters
  • Occupation:Retired Senior Field Engineer Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

Sorry to hear this Dennis, I pray for the best outcome. Dang Her-i-cane
rob
To access my website click the link below

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain...robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

#4 Mo's70MCs

Mo's70MCs

I " WIN" nothing! Yay! Tripple

• Members

• 7,043 posts
  • LocationNorwalk, Ca.
  • Legal Name:Rod Marin Jr

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

Dennis,

Hopefully nothing happens to it, these hurricanes are so powerful it's hard to think about what damage mother nature's wrath can impose. Here out west we are always in fear of that unannounced seismic event.

It would be hard for me to sit and wait on the outcome. Just the suspense would kill me, good luck and hope mother nature keeps her wrath at bay.

med_gallery_1189_9_1413157583_4055.jpgRod

"I swear officer, these quart jars are fuel".

#5 Leghome

Leghome

Maytag "Danged Agitator"

• Members

• 4,913 posts
  • Location35 mi NE of INDY
  • Legal Name:Larry E Gilbert

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

Same here Dennis I hope nothing happens. My oldest daughter Valerie and her family just moved into a house in Cape Coral last month and has evacuated to Rome GA. My grand son was not happy with the move aand now he is blaming them for having to leave FL because of the storm. He will be twelve next month so change is hard for him to accept. He really loved living in Murray KY.

http://www.firstgenm...-monte-trailer/
Larry E Gilbert
Markleville IN
"IF'n I had know retirement was this good I'd have done it a lot sooner"

#6 72-CLASSIC_RIDE

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Silver Member

• Members

• 2,308 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Legal Name:Douglas L Cameron

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:59 PM

I trust as this storm passes you find ALL well upon your return Dennis as well as All Floridians.  

Doug

MYSIGNATUREPIC-1.jpg
1972 CUSTOM (Z03) - 402 CI, TH400, 12 Bolt 331:1 Posi, Power Driver 4-way Seat, Console, Full Gauges, Tilt, A/C, AM/FM Stereo, Power Trunk, Windows, Locks, Cruise Control & Keyless Entry

#7 Murphy

Murphy

Silver Member

• Members

• 1,522 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:08 AM

Hope all is well with you Dennis, at least your safe in MN. My cousins from Tampa area went to Iowa for labor day and can'take get back. At least all is safe!

I started out with Nothing........I still have most of it!
1971 SBC355, Muncie M20 4-Speed

#8 MCfan

MCfan

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,587 posts
  • LocationPunta Gorda, FL (winter); Crosslake, MN (summer)
  • Legal Name:Dennis Bengtson

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for your replies and well wishes!  We just heard from our daughter this morning.  She had plowed through some flooded streets to get to our home near Charlotte Harbor.  The canal was within 3 inches of the top of the sea wall but our house was intact and had not flooded!

Fortunately, Irma made landfall far enough south at Marco Island so her wind speeds had dropped some before reaching Punta Gorda.  Also, contrary to all of the models, her track shifted northeast instead of continuing north-northwest.  That inland movement greatly reduced the storm surge and prevented extensive flooding around Charlotte Harbor  So, only a tree and some palm fronds were down - no wind damage to the roof or pool screening and no water in the house or garage.  That is so different than what had been repeatedly forecast the past several days and we are very grateful to have escaped serious damage.  As one local reporter said, "We didn't just dodge a bullet, we dodged a cannonball!"

The eye of the storm passed directly over our daughter's house six miles inland so they lost some trees and had minor roof damage but everyone was safe inside.  The one thing that has not changed about Irma is her massive size so the whole state of Florida is being impacted one way or another, especially east coast flooding and the loss of power.  The Florida Keys were hit the hardest and damage is still be assessed there.

All of the recent and ongoing natural disasters that make the daily news become very real when we are personally involved.  Glad to see so many Americans coming to the aid of those unfortunate folks who have been seriously affected.

• 502ci likes this

Dennis

sml_gallery_567_4_470590.jpg                                     sml_gallery_567_4_3184004.jpg

1970 matching #'s 402/M20 4-speed/3.31 12-bolt Posi                1970 SS454/TH400/2.56 12-bolt Posi
Punta Gorda, FL                                                                        Crosslake, MN

#9 Jared Richey

Jared Richey

FGMCC Vice President "I got the Fastest Set of Wheels in To

• Administrators

• 10,723 posts
  • LocationBelton, South Carolina, CSA
  • Legal Name:Jared Richey

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

As long as they are not washed away, cars usually fair far better in floods than houses. Steel doesn't warp and fall like wood, glad your house wasn't damaged though!
1970 at 10

1970 Monte Carlo 350-300 HP 163k original miles "FGMCC"
1972 Monte Carlo "RICEKLR" 462 ci TH 350 12 Bolt Posi 4:11 7.4@92 Mph FB_IMG_1437858078536.jpg
1968 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Station Wagon  20151126_164355.jpg
1957 Chevrolet 2 Door Hardtop***1972 Monte Carlo 350 Vortec Heads, Wife's car.

#10 Leghome

Leghome

Maytag "Danged Agitator"

• Members

• 4,913 posts
  • Location35 mi NE of INDY
  • Legal Name:Larry E Gilbert

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

Glad things look good for you Dennis.  Our oldest daughter just moved to Cape Coral FL and bought a house two weeks ago. The went to Rome GA fri nite arriving sat at noon. They had a neighbor send them photos of the house. No trees down or damage to house. What a way to get welcomed to FL LOL LOL. They do not know how soon they will head back home.The neighborhood has electricity. I have a friend who owns a house on Marco Island, he lost trees and a couple of roof tiles but no damage to house. Storm Surge only got half way up his driveway so no water damage. Nobody can get onto the Island as of yet. He will be going down on Sat to check it out. 

http://www.firstgenm...-monte-trailer/
Larry E Gilbert
Markleville IN
"IF'n I had know retirement was this good I'd have done it a lot sooner"

#11 Rob Peters

Rob Peters

Retired Vice President FGMCC

• Administrators

• 15,255 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa. USA
  • Legal Name:Rob Peters
  • Occupation:Retired Senior Field Engineer Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

Dennis, I am going glad to hear all is good with your house and car, thanks for the update, another Monte spared!
rob
To access my website click the link below

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain...robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

#12 willie

willie

Silver Member

• Members

• 1,570 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
  • Legal Name:William Conforti

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

Glad to hear your all your property and the Monte made out ok Dennis.   I have a cousin that lives in Halendale but was bouncing back and fourth from there to the west side and then back to only find out that her condo was ok and still had electric. Very lucky.  I on the other hand was due in Daytona for the week on fri had to cancel everything what a pain, but it could of been alot worse. Glad to hear so far eveyone is ok.

WILLIE

#13 John S

John S

• Members

• 313 posts
  • LocationMcdonough GA
  • Legal Name:John Szymanski

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

That's great news Dennis. It must have been a restless night knowing nothing could be done but wait. Irma is a big storm. Fortunately here just south of Atlanta it has downgraded to a tropical storm, nothing like Florida but a lot of rain and wind. Good to hear everyone and everything is OK.

John S

1970 Monte

#14 sredmyer

sredmyer

Brass Member

• Members

• 302 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Legal Name:Steve Redmyer

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:01 AM

So glad your home and car were spared.

Steve

1970 Monte Carlo SS454 Triple Black, Numbers Matching

1970 Monte Carlo SS454 Black on Red, Numbers Matching
2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum
2011 Ford Super Duty (F350) King Ranch

#15 Canuck

Canuck

FGMCC Western Meet Coordinator

• Administrators

• 10,489 posts
  • LocationSummerland, BC, Canada
  • Legal Name:Aaron Dodsworth

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM

Happy to hear your house and car are OK

Aaron
1970 Misty Turquoise Monte Carlo - 115,000 miles
1971 Classic Copper SS454 Monte Carlo - 75,000 miles

gallery_98_4_57153.jpg

2018 FGMCC WESTERN MEET INFO: click here

#16 7tonemonte

7tonemonte

Its Sooooo GREEN!! FGMCC Treasurer

• Moderators

• 15,237 posts
  • LocationChester County Pa.
  • Legal Name:Tony

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:25 PM

great news on the home and car Dennis, could have really been a nightmare.. I'm glad my dad moved north recently, I think the last hurricane scare did him in, he would not have done well with this one.
Nice to hear that your daughter did well also, I don't know if I could have taken the suspense waiting to hear about my car and property
Green Tony!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Ill paint your toenails if you can stand still long enough

Click here to see my Monte build so far

---RIP Robyn Lance---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Home Page
Mission|Benefits|Join|Renew|Merchandise
Message Forum
Members' Montes|Meet Photos