First start in 3 years, fuel pump to carb line question.

Soler89

As a few if you know, I recently got my hands on a 72 MC with a 350 a week ago. Last night I finally heard it run, even if it was for a few seconds. I tried replacing my fuel pump, but the nut connecting to the fuel line to the carb is stripped. The rubber line is also dry rotted. I want to replace the fuel pump and the line. My question is, can I just replace it with a steel braided line, or should i just look for a direct replacement (fuel pump to carb line).

Rubber lines are fine if they're in good condition. There are a handful of rubber hoses at the gas tank, you should climb under there and have a good look at them.

Did you use a flair wrench on that stripped nut?

I replaced all the hoses on my 71. There was a "hidden" restricter in one of the hoses at the tank.

Here are some pics:

post-76-0-24772400-1505063396_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-20362300-1505063416_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Paul,

I believe it was in the vent hose as shown in the drawing, there is a mark on the hose in the drawing but NOT on the real hose where I found it. I almost threw it out but saw a bulge and cut the hose open o find the small plastic plug with a small hole in the center of it.

I wonder how many of them got thrown out!!!!!!!!!

I still have the full entire evaporative emission system, many have been removed.

Bruce

Paul, I don't know but my 71 (today after a 30 mile drive) smells up my garage like crazy. I believe it is all coming from the stock Qudrajet carb. 

Bruce

Well I finally installed the new pump, installed the line that came today, and had it all ready to go. The pump works, which is good. The car started and stay on for about ten seconds, 5 seconds longer than last time when the fuel pump wasn't working. After the ten seconds, it cut off. We poured fuel down the carb, just a little bit, started the car up and fuel started shooting out of the top of the Holley. It's been a long tiring day, I don't even know where to begin with the fuel shooting out.

Also, last week was literally my first time touching a carb. I don't know much about old cars, but I'm a quick learner. Car was sitting for 3 years before I got my hands on it last week, if that helps.

Aren't them holly carbs a pain to adjust the floats on? I really don't know that much about them.

They aren't bad at all, especially the ones that have the glass windows on the float bowls instead of the screw. I prefer 4150 or 4500 Holley's over any other carb for their tuning options.

UPDATE.

No more fuel shooting out. I just can't get the car to stay on for more than one or two seconds. Ive been adjusting the carb all morning the other day, so im getting really familiar with working in the carb. I posted videos on facebook and someone pointed out that my electric choke was not wired up. I didnt know what that meant, so I researched. The positive wire wasn't even on the choke. So I ran the wire to to IGN and connected it to the choke. Still no difference. Im gettin stumped. It sounds like the car really wants to run.

Wired

I took the fuel bowl off. My buddy says it looks clean. I asked him about the float itself, he said it should move freely. However, my float gives me a lot of resistance when I try to move it with my fingers. Is this normal?

It almost looks like the tab on the float is bent. First thing I would do is soak that carb in some carb cleaner, it looks pretty gooey. The float should have a little bit of resistance to it, but not a lot. If the fuel level can't move the float then its going to flood out. Get some new bowl gaskets when you put it back together. Those look like they are starting to come apart.

• Like 1

UPDATE: Cleaned the bowl section on the carb. Float moves much better now. New gasket installed also. After tinkering around, this is where I'm at... The Monte can start after pumping gas in the carb 3 times. It can then stay running for a minute to five minutes. Eventually it just stops. After it stops, it's harder to start, but can be done after pumping some gas. This time I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. If I take my foot off, it dies. Here's a link to the video of it running. https://www.instagram.com/p/BZNDpT7nLOr/

So I get the car back from the shop. Gator, as you know my fuel sending unit needs to be replaced. Bit they also said my carb might need to be replaced. Looks close to new to me. Should I just tear it down and clean it all?

Sorry for being vague, I had to rush that post. So, I had my fuel system cleaned and has some inspections done in the car. The fuel sending unit works, but it has surface rust on it and the sock is torn up. They recommended replacing my unit. They then informed me that all the bad gas could have possibly damaged the carburetor. They reccomened changing it out. I'm not an expert, but could old gas actually damage the csrberator to the point that it gets physically damages beyond repair? Would me taking it off, completely soaking the soakable parts in carb cleaner bring it back to new? I already have new gaskets for it.