#1 Crank

Crank

Advanced Member

• Members

• 33 posts
  • LocationManitoba, Canada
  • Legal Name:Dale McLenehan

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

Has anyone encountered any problems replacing the idiot lights with gauges or the clock with a tachometer from Shiftworks? I think I read something in this forum, but I can't find it now. I am still having trouble trying to post pictures of our Monty also.

#2 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

• Members

• 127 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA
  • Legal Name:Chris Harris

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:00 PM

I am not sure about anyone having issues. I am interested in purchasing the same gauge pack from Shiftworks.........curious to hear from other folks that have it installed.

sml_gallery_5838_288_247210.jpg1971 Monte Carlo, #'s matching 350cid with TH350, Factory "Lime Green" with original "Antique White" painted top.

#3 Murphy

Murphy

Silver Member

• Members

• 1,536 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:36 AM

I replaced my clock with a shift works Tach, excellent part & instructions. Just insure you order the correct one for correct color lighting, 70 = green, 71/72 = white. Looks completely stock!

I started out with Nothing........I still have most of it!
1971 SBC355, Muncie M20 4-Speed

#4 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

• Members

• 127 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

I replaced my clock with a shift works Tach, excellent part & instructions. Just insure you order the correct one for correct color lighting, 70 = green, 71/72 = white. Looks completely stock!

Very cool!  Yeah, I did see the difference between the 70 & 71-72 tach colors. Makes sense. Chevy did this for chevelle/malibu/el caminos too. My clock no longer works/keeps time, so swapping it for a tach is a no-brainer. The best part is that it appears "Factory-Looking".

sml_gallery_5838_288_247210.jpg1971 Monte Carlo, #'s matching 350cid with TH350, Factory "Lime Green" with original "Antique White" painted top.

#5 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

• Members

• 127 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

Ok folks, I took the plunge and decided to get my Shiftworks gauge conversion done. I haven't completed the job yet, but have installed the new tach, temp, oil, and volt gauges into the dash cluster. I was absolutely dreading the task of removing the dash cluster. The space is tight and the plastic is old, especially the brittle printed circuit. I was able to remove it using the tips & suggestions given by other Monte owners on here. I carefully took my time and made sure to be gentle with everything I touched. Nothing got damaged in the removal process. The one thing that was a bear to deal with was the speedo cable. It is buried above a metal dash support that yields no room to get at it. I ended up shifting the gauge cluster up & tilted to gain just enough room to access the speedo cable release tab. Putting it back on may prove to be even worse, we'll see. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to cruising my 71 with full gauges.

Attached Files

• stangeba and Crank like this

#6 7tonemonte

7tonemonte

Its Sooooo GREEN!!

• Moderators

• 15,295 posts
  • LocationChester County Pa.
  • Legal Name:Tony

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:34 AM

The speedo capable was easiest to remove from under the column. Lying on the floor with a long screwdriver. Putting it in was much easier too.. After you put everything back together, go up underneath and just reinsert it. The tab will lock itself. I removed my cable last summer due to excessive chattering . Pulled the cable completely from the car, remove the cable itself from the sheath, clean and degrease, then regrease it. I'd almost suggest you do that while you have the cluster out, not hard at all.
  • Monteman1971 and Crank like this
Green Tony!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Ill paint your toenails if you can stand still long enough

Click here to see my Monte build so far

---RIP Robyn Lance---

#7 overdrive

overdrive

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,918 posts
  • LocationHannibal, MO

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:25 AM

You could also disconnect the speedometer cable under the car and leave it connected in the dash, while you pull the dash and cluster to the rear. I haven't tried it, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Your new gauges look great! Nice work. I have alot of respect for those that take the initiative to do their own repairs and upgrades. You'll appreciate and be even more proud of your car.

Dan
http://www.picturetr...com/57overdrive
70 Monte Carlo SS454 [I'm restoring it now]
71 Monte Carlo 350 [restored]

#8 Crank

Crank

Advanced Member

• Members

• 33 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:19 AM

Hey Chris. Did you order through Summit? Are these the correct numbers? Gauge package #SIW-S511-G? Tach #OER-6469983?
I see in your picture that it has the oil light. Did you connect it also?

#9 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

• Members

• 127 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

Hey Chris. Did you order through Summit? Are these the correct numbers? Gauge package #SIW-S511-G? Tach #OER-6469983?
I see in your picture that it has the oil light. Did you connect it also?

The new gauges and tach are all Shiftworks products. I bought the gauges directly from Shiftworks. All of the gauges take the place of the red "idiot" lights, the wiring is still present for the red lights, but it will no longer be functional due to analog gauges being replaced in those locations. 

#10 Jared Richey

Jared Richey

FGMCC Vice President "I got the Fastest Set of Wheels in To

• Administrators

• 10,859 posts
  • LocationBelton, South Carolina, CSA
  • Legal Name:Jared Richey

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

I did this conversion last year on a customer car. Straightforward conversion, all self wired.
1970 at 10

1970 Monte Carlo 350-300 HP 163k original miles "FGMCC"
1972 Monte Carlo "RICEKLR" 462 ci TH 350 12 Bolt Posi 4:11 7.4@92 Mph FB_IMG_1437858078536.jpg
1968 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Station Wagon  20151126_164355.jpg
1957 Chevrolet 2 Door Hardtop***1972 Monte Carlo 350 Vortec Heads, Wife's car.

#11 lowcadillac

lowcadillac

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Legal Name:Tony Holden

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

I like the dash conversion. My clock doesn’t work and I don’t trust the temp light. Can I justify the expense and fiddling

#12 Crank

Crank

Advanced Member

• Members

• 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:51 AM

Chris. Just wondering where you ran the wiring through the firewall? The connector for the oil pressure gauge requires a 7/8” hole. What did u use? Anyone ever use one of these?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Home Page
Mission|Benefits|Join|Renew|Merchandise
Message Forum
Members' Montes|Meet Photos
Tech Info|Museum|Parts|Registry|Links|Contact Us