Shiftworks gauge conversion kit questions

Crank

Has anyone encountered any problems replacing the idiot lights with gauges or the clock with a tachometer from Shiftworks? I think I read something in this forum, but I can't find it now. I am still having trouble trying to post pictures of our Monty also.

I replaced my clock with a shift works Tach, excellent part & instructions. Just insure you order the correct one for correct color lighting, 70 = green, 71/72 = white. Looks completely stock!

I replaced my clock with a shift works Tach, excellent part & instructions. Just insure you order the correct one for correct color lighting, 70 = green, 71/72 = white. Looks completely stock!

Very cool!  Yeah, I did see the difference between the 70 & 71-72 tach colors. Makes sense. Chevy did this for chevelle/malibu/el caminos too. My clock no longer works/keeps time, so swapping it for a tach is a no-brainer. The best part is that it appears "Factory-Looking".

• 4 months later...

Ok folks, I took the plunge and decided to get my Shiftworks gauge conversion done. I haven't completed the job yet, but have installed the new tach, temp, oil, and volt gauges into the dash cluster. I was absolutely dreading the task of removing the dash cluster. The space is tight and the plastic is old, especially the brittle printed circuit. I was able to remove it using the tips & suggestions given by other Monte owners on here. I carefully took my time and made sure to be gentle with everything I touched. Nothing got damaged in the removal process. The one thing that was a bear to deal with was the speedo cable. It is buried above a metal dash support that yields no room to get at it. I ended up shifting the gauge cluster up & tilted to gain just enough room to access the speedo cable release tab. Putting it back on may prove to be even worse, we'll see. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to cruising my 71 with full gauges.

post-5838-0-47390700-1516149192_thumb.jpg

post-5838-0-12047500-1516149214_thumb.jpg

post-5838-0-63022300-1516149225_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The speedo capable was easiest to remove from under the column. Lying on the floor with a long screwdriver. Putting it in was much easier too.. After you put everything back together, go up underneath and just reinsert it. The tab will lock itself. I removed my cable last summer due to excessive chattering . Pulled the cable completely from the car, remove the cable itself from the sheath, clean and degrease, then regrease it. I'd almost suggest you do that while you have the cluster out, not hard at all.

• Like 2

You could also disconnect the speedometer cable under the car and leave it connected in the dash, while you pull the dash and cluster to the rear. I haven't tried it, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Your new gauges look great! Nice work. I have alot of respect for those that take the initiative to do their own repairs and upgrades. You'll appreciate and be even more proud of your car.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Chris. Did you order through Summit? Are these the correct numbers? Gauge package #SIW-S511-G? Tach #OER-6469983?

I see in your picture that it has the oil light. Did you connect it also?

Hey Chris. Did you order through Summit? Are these the correct numbers? Gauge package #SIW-S511-G? Tach #OER-6469983?

I see in your picture that it has the oil light. Did you connect it also?

The new gauges and tach are all Shiftworks products. I bought the gauges directly from Shiftworks. All of the gauges take the place of the red "idiot" lights, the wiring is still present for the red lights, but it will no longer be functional due to analog gauges being replaced in those locations. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Chris. Just wondering where you ran the wiring through the firewall? The connector for the oil pressure gauge requires a 7/8” hole. What did u use? Anyone ever use one of these?

post-7204-0-33402000-1528184982_thumb.png