#1 Trueblue

Trueblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • Legal Name:James Hurst

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:10 PM

I already own a 70 MC, so don't know that I need another one, but I came across a very clean original 71 MC that I think I could buy for $8,000.
The paint job is about 15 years old, and shows no rust or bubbling, but is not in the original color.
The interior is original bench seat, no tears anywhere, no cracks in dash or steering wheel.
The fram looks not rusted .
The vinyl top looks good.
I will have to check all the gauges,and such.
It has the original motor and drive train.
Would this be a good buy at this price?

#2 Rob Peters

Rob Peters

Retired Vice President FGMCC

• Administrators

• 15,183 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa. USA
  • Legal Name:Rob Peters
  • Occupation:Retired Senior Field Engineer Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

It doesn't sound like a bad price but it is hard to set a value without pictures and more information.  How many miles?  Have your looked at the floors from underneath the car?  Any sign of leakage from around the back window by looking inside the trunk and the underside of the package tray?  Any sign of rust repair in the past?  How well does it run and the transmission shifting?

rob

To access my website click the link below

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain...robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

#3 72-CLASSIC_RIDE

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Silver Member

• Members

• 2,281 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Legal Name:Douglas L Cameron

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

So a pretty basic car without many options?  Given your estimate of condition, $8000.00 seems within reason but the lower the better IMO.

Best of luck on price & driveability should you opt to get it.

Doug

MYSIGNATUREPIC-1.jpg
1972 CUSTOM (Z03) - 402 CI, TH400, 12 Bolt 331:1 Posi, Power Driver 4-way Seat, Console, Full Gauges, Tilt, A/C, AM/FM Stereo, Power Trunk, Windows, Locks, Cruise Control & Keyless Entry

#4 Trueblue

Trueblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:26 PM

Rob,
I am going to take a look at it tomorrow. Anything else to be aware of, or look out for?

#5 Mo's70MCs

Mo's70MCs

I " WIN" nothing! Yay! Tripple

• Members

• 7,006 posts
  • LocationNorwalk, Ca.
  • Legal Name:Rod Marin Jr

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:32 PM

The price seems fair to me. Pretty soon they're not going to be bought for that kind of money. Their popularity is growing fast and soon they'll reach their 50th year status.😎

med_gallery_1189_9_1413157583_4055.jpgRod

"I swear officer, these quart jars are fuel".

#6 Trueblue

Trueblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

By the way the mileage is 105,000

#7 Rob Peters

Rob Peters

• Administrators

• 15,183 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:40 PM

Rob,
I am going to take a look at it tomorrow. Anything else to be aware of, or look out for?

Jim,

Pretty much the things you and I have discussed  before.  Being very careful, put your fingers inside the rear wheel wells.  Run your fingers along the inside lip,, feeling for rusted or rust repair in that area.....don't cut yourself.  Like Rod and I said, the price sounds not too bad.  The best judge is your eyeballs on the project and a test drive.  

Something you could do is ask the seller if they would have a problem with a garage putting the car up on a rack so you can look at the entire undercarriage.  You can see some things without doing this but if the seller won't allow that to be done there may be something he is trying to hide like rust or past accident damage.

Like I said, having your eyeball inspection is a real key and looking for past or present rust in areas we have discussed.

rob

My Two Girls

#8 Rob Peters

Rob Peters

• Administrators

• 15,183 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

By the way the mileage is 105,000

Nicely broken in.  Ask about any work on the engine that they know of.  Check the oil and transmission fluid color.  Smell the tranny fluid for not only color but also smell.  There are so many things we could all tell you to inspect but your inspection will be the most important thing.  Always keep in mind, people always ask more than what they expect to get so usually there is always wiggle room on the price so price is negotiable and also keep in mind that no matter what other people may think of the deal you strike on any vehicle... if the buyer and seller are both happy with the deal then it is a good deal.

rob

My Two Girls

#9 Trueblue

Trueblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

Understood.
Thanks for the pointers on what to look for.

#10 cny first gen 71

cny first gen 71

Platinum Member

• Members

• 4,632 posts
  • LocationLiverpool N.Y. USA
  • Legal Name:Steve Lavoie

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

Price is up to the buyer and the seller, look it over good and see if it something you can work with. I only paid $4500.00 for mine and was a driver right from when when I bought it but I have done quite a bit to it. Good luck with your choice. Do you need it? Maybe not but sounds like you want it :)
There is no such thing as strangers, only friends we have yet to meet.

#11 Trueblue

Trueblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

Update,
The power steering pump has a minor leak, the air conditioning needs to be charged or more, as it does not work.
The blower for the defroster does not work,.
The tires are good, the paint job is excellent, interior is very good, except the driver side arm rest is cracked. The very bottom of the door panels are coming loose, but I imagine that can easily be glued.
Car drives good, all gauges work, including cigarette lighter.
Any feedback now on price?
Not sure how to post pics from my iPad.

#12 502ci

502ci

MODERATOR in the 11's

• Moderators

• 15,356 posts
  • LocationRichfield, Ohio
  • Legal Name:Bill
  • Occupation:Union Electrician / Local 38/Commercial, Industrial

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

Did you run a magnet on the usual rust areas?
I would take several magnets of different powers using a cloth as to not scratch the cars paint.

The reason I say different powers is so you can see how much filler is on say a dent versus filler on a rust spot with no metal behind it.

It's possible even with a an older paint job to not show any bubbling if the car was garage kept and did not see water...hate to see you wash it several times or take it out in the rain and that nice older paint job now starts swelling.
  • Montemedic likes this

Bill
us_flag.gif
Molôn Labe
21979060051_large.jpg
11.80's at 114 mph, 0-60 in 3.34 sec.____
Click here to see my never ending project
__________Click here to hear it__________

#13 MCfan

MCfan

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationPunta Gorda, FL (winter); Crosslake, MN (summer)
  • Legal Name:Dennis Bengtson

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:54 PM

Jim, for what it's worth, you can rebuild the power steering pump with an inexpensive gasket kit to stop the leak.  I made a photo journal when I rebuilt mine if you're interested.  

Glad you were able to assess the condition of the car for yourself.  In general, I believe the less rare/more common a particular first gen Monte is (i.e. high production options) the lower the price should be.  The more options it has (especially the rarer options), the higher the value of the car (for the same condition).  Not saying you couldn't or shouldn't be happy with a lower-optioned, run-of-the-mill model, especially if it is in great condition, but if you are looking to flip it or sell it someday, it will be easier to sell and for a higher price if it has some special attributes.

I don't believe you were specific about the drive train in it (so maybe it doesn't matter to you) but a 402, TH400, 12 bolt positraction lineup will generally command more price/value than a 350; Powerglide/TH350; open 10 bolt combo.  Options like AC, power windows, power locks, full gauge cluster, bucket seats/console, tilt/sport wheel, stereo radio, performance suspension, etc. also add value and appeal.  If the car is a good fit to your needs and interests and is in great condition, it might actually be worth a premium to you.  But, unless you plan to keep it as part of your estate, you should also consider what to expect when you go to sell it one day and try to buy it accordingly.  JMO, of course ...

Dennis

sml_gallery_567_4_470590.jpg                                     sml_gallery_567_4_3184004.jpg

1970 matching #'s 402/M20 4-speed/3.31 12-bolt Posi                1970 SS454/TH400/2.56 12-bolt Posi
Punta Gorda, FL                                                                        Crosslake, MN

#14 Trueblue

Trueblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

I decided to pass on buying the 71 Monte Carlo. It was a very nice vehicle, but I already have a 1970 Monte Carlo, and you can only drive one at a time. Thank U for all the feedback, greatly Appreciate it. If someone is in the market for a nice Monte Carlo, is listed on craigslist Kansas City area

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Home Page
Mission|Benefits|Join|Renew|Merchandise
Message Forum
Members' Montes|Meet Photos
Tech Info|Museum|Parts|Registry|Links|Contact Us