#1 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

Advanced Member

• Members

• 87 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA
  • Legal Name:Chris Harris

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

Just like the title says, what is the advantage of a larger aftermarket front sway bar versus the stock unit? More control, less roll, smoother steering?  I plan to lower my car and install larger wheels over the Winter. I would assume installing a larger diameter front sway bar would help? I see several companies selling these in different diameters, Hotchkis, Addco, UMI, etc. I would appreciate if someone could explain the advantages or disadvantages of an aftermarket unit.

sml_gallery_5838_288_247210.jpg1971 Monte Carlo, #'s matching 350cid with TH350, Factory "Lime Green" with original "Antique White" painted top.

#2 72Ragtop

72Ragtop

• Members

• 228 posts
  • LocationLoveland, Colorado
  • Legal Name:David C. Winters

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

Given you have good radial tyres, and not 40 year old bias-plys, a set of larger front AND rear anti-roll bars (w/ poly-bushings!) is the most "cost-effective" modification you can do to any car of this age to improve the handling and the "feeling". DCWinters

#3 Rob Peters

Rob Peters

Retired Vice President FGMCC

• Administrators

• 15,183 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa. USA
  • Legal Name:Rob Peters
  • Occupation:Retired Senior Field Engineer Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:17 AM

I agree with Davie with one exception and that is the Poly bushings. A lot of people here have been very unhappy with the poly because most of them start to squeak. The rubber are fine and also last a long time.

The heavier bar will help reduce body roll/sway and improve handling.
rob

To access my website click the link below

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain...robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

#4 Shnalla

Shnalla

Keep the Rock rolling !

• Members

• 249 posts
  • LocationLyon, France.
  • Legal Name:Romain Scheibert

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

I agree with Davie with one exception and that is the Poly bushings. A lot of people here have been very unhappy with the poly because most of them start to squeak. The rubber are fine and also last a long time.

The heavier bar will help reduce body roll/sway and improve handling.
rob

Does poly bushings squeak even with regular lubrication?

Romain

Posted Image
Work Hard, Make Money, Fix your Car !

#5 Leghome

Leghome

Maytag "Danged Agitator"

• Members

• 4,881 posts
  • Location35 mi NE of INDY
  • Legal Name:Larry E Gilbert

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

Yes.

http://www.firstgenm...-monte-trailer/
Larry E Gilbert
Markleville IN
"IF'n I had know retirement was this good I'd have done it a lot sooner"

#6 502ci

502ci

MODERATOR in the 11's

• Moderators

• 15,356 posts
  • LocationRichfield, Ohio
  • Legal Name:Bill
  • Occupation:Union Electrician / Local 38/Commercial, Industrial

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:36 PM

Never noticed mine squeaking...then again my car is loud.

Get a hollow one to save weight. I do got to say if you do your whole car with rubber bushings the sway bar is one place to use poly, the end links and the frame mounts for the front sway bar will give you a "quick" road feel when turning hard, you won't have that soft delayed feel. I have had both and originally when I put poly just on my end links on my "stock" bar there was a noticeable difference.

Bill
us_flag.gif
MolĂ´n Labe
21979060051_large.jpg
11.80's at 114 mph, 0-60 in 3.34 sec.____
Click here to see my never ending project
__________Click here to hear it__________

#7 stangeba

stangeba

Original Owner

• Members

• 4,643 posts
  • LocationShelby Township, Michigan
  • Legal Name:Bruce Stange
  • Occupation:Retired from E. I. DuPont Automotive Finishes still working at Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Parts Company.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

Squeak,  Squeak, Squeak, Squeak, Squeak, Squeak, Squeak, Squeak

I replaced the 7/8" with a 1-1/8" ft bar and added a rear bar, all Chevrolet parts, years ago.

Only part I wish I had not done, was the poly bushings, they were SOOOO much work.

To be honest, I think I remember an improvement but..........

Bruce

Posted Image
Original Owner since May 14 1971

#8 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

Advanced Member

• Members

• 87 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

I appreciate all the replies up to this point. It seems installing a larger sway bar would benefit me up front. I like a real crisp handling/driving experience, so perhaps using the poly bushings would be beneficial. Somewhere online I read an article where one person said you can save some massive money by buying an OEM 70-81 Camaro sway bar. I guess these came in a large diameter (1-1/8") and fit a chevelle..........which means they would fit a monte carlo. Anyone heard of this?

sml_gallery_5838_288_247210.jpg1971 Monte Carlo, #'s matching 350cid with TH350, Factory "Lime Green" with original "Antique White" painted top.

#9 Shnalla

Shnalla

Keep the Rock rolling !

• Members

• 249 posts
  • LocationLyon, France.
  • Legal Name:Romain Scheibert

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:59 AM

Just to clarify ; rear swaybar exists from factory on Montes or is a Chevelle option?

• Montemedic likes this
Romain

Posted Image
Work Hard, Make Money, Fix your Car !

#10 71MonteCarloMD

71MonteCarloMD

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,095 posts
  • LocationFrederick, MD
  • Legal Name:Rick Baker

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:46 AM

Rear swaybar was available as an option from factory as I have it on my 71.
  • Shnalla likes this

#11 Rob Peters

Rob Peters

Retired Vice President FGMCC

• Administrators

• 15,183 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa. USA
  • Legal Name:Rob Peters
  • Occupation:Retired Senior Field Engineer Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

Rear sway bar was part of the SS suspension package but an option on others.
rob
  • Shnalla likes this
To access my website click the link below

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain...robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

#12 MCfan

MCfan

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationPunta Gorda, FL (winter); Crosslake, MN (summer)
  • Legal Name:Dennis Bengtson

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

The front stabilizer shaft (GM's terminology) on every '70 SS, '71 SS and '72 Custom (and every other Monte with the F41 Performance Suspension option) is 1 1/8" diameter instead of the standard 15/16" diameter.  While the Factory Assembly Manual only shows the rear stabilizer shaft, shims, bolts and boxed control arms for RPO F41 (pages 548 & 549), the larger front shaft is clearly called out as "not illustrated" along with different front shocks and rear springs. Unfortunately, instead of giving a Part Number for the 1 1/8" shaft, the Assembly Manual simply refers the reader to the Bill of Material which apparently came with RPO F41.

Be aware if you choose the factory 1 1/8" front stabilizer, you will also need the larger bushings for that diameter and they are not so easy to find.  More than one parts source tried to sell me the standard bushings when I rebuilt the front suspension on my '70 SS three years ago.  I know Leo can get them if no one else stocks them.  Good luck.

Dennis

sml_gallery_567_4_470590.jpg                                     sml_gallery_567_4_3184004.jpg

1970 matching #'s 402/M20 4-speed/3.31 12-bolt Posi                1970 SS454/TH400/2.56 12-bolt Posi
Punta Gorda, FL                                                                        Crosslake, MN

#13 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

Advanced Member

• Members

• 87 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

The front stabilizer shaft (GM's terminology) on every '70 SS, '71 SS and '72 Custom (and every other Monte with the F41 Performance Suspension option) is 1 1/8" diameter instead of the standard 15/16" diameter.  While the Factory Assembly Manual only shows the rear stabilizer shaft, shims, bolts and boxed control arms for RPO F41 (pages 548 & 549), the larger front shaft is clearly called out as "not illustrated" along with different front shocks and rear springs. Unfortunately, instead of giving a Part Number for the 1 1/8" shaft, the Assembly Manual simply refers the reader to the Bill of Material which apparently came with RPO F41.

Be aware if you choose the factory 1 1/8" front stabilizer, you will also need the larger bushings for that diameter and they are not so easy to find.  More than one parts source tried to sell me the standard bushings when I rebuilt the front suspension on my '70 SS three years ago.  I know Leo can get them if no one else stocks them.  Good luck.

Good info!  Yeah, I found 1-1/8" new sway bar through OPG for right around $100. I plan to buy polyurethane end links and frame bushings. I realize that squeaking is an issue, but I also want that tight direct feeling with the steering. My 71 already has a rear sway bar installed. It definitely looks like a previous owner added it on, the hardware looks fairly shiny & new. I checked my front sway bar on the 71, it measures out to 1" diameter.......... is this an available size?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Home Page
Mission|Benefits|Join|Renew|Merchandise
Message Forum
Members' Montes|Meet Photos
Tech Info|Museum|Parts|Registry|Links|Contact Us