Blower motor

Trueblue

If you are referring to the Heater Fan Motor, it comes out from the Firewall side tucked back in behind passenger inner fender.  If a non-A/C car, you can I am told get to it without pulling passenger side inner fender, otherwise inner fender needs to come out.

Doug

Mine is also air conditioned and the blower motor is still located in engine compartment on the passenger side firewall behind the inner fender, unless you have something else in mind.  Any air blowing into cabin comes from blower motor and routed into interior,  Unless something aftermarket, there is nothing under the dash inside cabin that blows air.  There are vacuum hoses under dash that directs air but no blower motors.

Doug

Why do you need to replace it?

Don't know if these two pictures will show you where the screws are and stuff.

post-76-0-64155100-1505348294_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-71655600-1505348301_thumb.jpg

I have two complete A/C units that I was going to put into my 71 NON A/C car 20 years ago, but I never did. Here is a picture of the two different units but I don't know what year they were from, 72 I think??

Funny thing, the FIREWALL is different, A/C vs NON A/C. Way too much work to add A/C IMO here in Michigan.

Bruce

I talked to Jim.  The blower does not work on any speed setting.  Not sure if it is related to the switch, blower motor or a relay.  Jim, I don't think we discussed checking the fuse... Duh, check the easiest thing first.  My blower only works on high speed so I suspect I have a relay issue.  Unfortunately I did not know where to tell Jim to look for the relay since I have not ever changed one..

rob

Thanks for all the replies. Will dig into it further, but it sounds like it might be something I

could do myself. If I had to take out the dash, I don't think it would be something I would know how to handle.

Jim, four years ago, when I returned to MN in the spring I found that the fan motor on my '70 SS had suddenly stopped working.  That seemed odd because the AC was working fine when I parked it for the winter the prior October.  I discovered that the fuse had blown, however, replacing the fuse had no effect except to blow the new fuse.

Unfortunately, mice had invaded my garage over the winter and had taken up residence in my Monte.  Of the six nests I found, one was packed solidly in the blower fan, preventing it from even turning.  I hope that has not happened to your '71 because it is a nightmare to clean everything out and disinfect it.  I had to remove the passenger inner fender, the blower motor/fan and the entire dash to get the heater/AC box out to clean and deodorize it.  They also packed nests in the AC evaporator coil housing, above the headliner (after chewing a hole in it!), in the trunk and behind the rear seat back.  Again, I hope that has not happened to your '71, but you may want to check.

As others have advised, you have to remove the passenger inner fender to get the blower motor and fan out for repair/replacement.  But, before you go to that trouble, be sure to check the fuse, the switches and the electrical wiring/connections.  Taking the inner fender out is not difficult but re-installing it can be challenging.  Assuming you may have the original hard plastic inner fenders, they are probably cracked so this may be a good opportunity to replace them with a pair of new flexible plastic inner fenders.  The Parts Place Inc sells a Monte-specific set that fit well and are easier to install than either the originals or steel Chevelle inner fenders. Good luck with your repair project.

Sorry I hadn't offered more info or asked questions James.  I assumed you had already isolated the problem to the heater motor.  That's whats great about this Club.  You drop the ball, there is always someone there to pick it back up.   :)  All the best finding your problem & hope it is as simple as replacing a Fuse.

Doug