BBC Eating Starters. Help - Starter or Timing issue?

snomobeelr

Seems like my Mini-starter gives me a bit of trouble.  Last time the Bendix-Starter Drive went out. Been driving her for a bit. I had backed off the Initial timing two degrees a couple weeks ago to 18 and seemed not to  run as strong. So I bumped the Initial timing back up to 20. and full  is 38. I did have the distributor degree'd and they said 20 @0.  Idles good in park and Drive.  I shut her down fine . I went to start her back up and there was that horrendous noise. Tried it once more and same noise so I jacked her up and pulled the Starter. The Nose cone on the starter Physically cracked off, see picture.  Im wondering if it just the starters or my timing ? 

MSD HEI Distributor
Carburator:    850 cfm
Engine Cubic Inches:    468
Compression Ratio:      10.1
Intake Manifold Brand:  Edlbrock AIR GAP RPM
Header full Patriot     1 7/8"
3 inch Exhaust
Cylinder Head Type:     Brodix race rite oval port
Intake Valve Diameter:    2.250 in.
Exhaust Valve Diameter: 1.880 in
Type of Camshaft:       Hyrdaulic Roller Lifters
Camshaft - Intake Duration @.050:       232
Camshaft - Exhaust Duration @.050:      244
Camshaft - Intake Lift at Valve:        595
Camshaft - Exhaust Lift at Valve:       581
Lobe Separation:        107

The Spark Plugs are NGK V-Power  R5671A-7  Gap is .45
................................................................................................................
Federal Mogual Forged      :   .095 Dome Pistons
Felpro 1027 Head gasket   :   .039 thickness

post-44-0-67595500-1505750027_thumb.jpg

My only thought would be to call Summit or Jegs and talk to one of their tech people. I have no personal experience with that kind of a problem although I did have a starter go bed. It sounded like the flex plate teeth were being sheared off. Checked the flex plate out and it looked fine. Took the starter apart( I used to build starter on the assembly line at Delco Remy) and could not get it back together. It was one of those aftermarket small starters and was made completely different from what I had ever seen. Bought a new starter and all is well.

Did you shim the starter properly when you installed it? I've never seen a starter break like that, could be a possible flex-plate issue. Shouldn't be a timing problem, my engine started with the timing locked out at 36 degrees. It just turned over slow. Check to make sure the flex-plate isn't bent and that its correct for your engine/transmission. The starter should come with instructions on how to shim for the correct clearance.

I just remembered after reading Ryan's post that my flex plate had been installed backwards so that may have caused the original starter for me. Boy my forgettererer is getting better every day.

I never saw a starter break like that either. I get my starter and Alternator from a place called "Morton Grove Electric" http://www.mgautoelectric.com/. He has GM starter noses that have the  slot that you can use a pick to pull out the Gear when the starter is mounted to verify gap from starter to flywheel . I didn't need any shims. Starter had been good for the season. I don't know if the metal had fatigued and it was just coincidence I just changed the timing? I had read in a post about the timing so thought I'd ask .  

Another few things to check. Does this style starter have a rear mount? The factory ones would move around a lot if it was missing. Do you have the factory style starter bolts with the knurled shaft? Again to prevent movement. And finally I had a problem a few years ago with a flexplate that was egg shaped it was bought new ( from NAPA IIRC ) I ended up locating a used factory one to fix the problem. Hope you locate the problem David