8.2" Rear end

71gibby

Looking for some input on the 8.2" rear end currently in my 72 MC.

My plans are to build nothing more than a street car with some "get up and go". It will never be on a drag strip or race track.

The plan is to install an engine within the 400hp range and 200-4r/700-r4 overdrive transmission with a limited slip differential.

The question is: Will this 8.2 hold up or am I needing to source an 8.5"?

Been to a few swap meets/Craig's List etc. and have run in to problems finding an 8.5" and am kinda running out of energy and want to get something back under my chassis.

Thanks for any and all input!

Jim

My 8.2" setup is dyno-d at 300 to the wheels and I am running an Auburn gear limited slip and 3.73 Richmonds behind a 200-4r without issues.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to ask this but, if you are 300 at the wheels what are you out of the crankshaft? I know there are losses but do not understand how much is lost through the drive train.

On another note, did you upgrade your axles or are they stock?

Thanks!

I have no idea what my motor is rated at the crank. I have a buddy with a dyno shop, so we ran it 7 times to get it properly dialed in. I did put new axles in, but nothing fancy. Just new axles because my original ones were pitted in the seal area. To be fair I didn't build a race car so I don't test the setup too often.