10 replies to this topic

#1 mikeringland

mikeringland

• Members

• 86 posts
  • LocationNorth Chelmsford, MA
  • Legal Name:Michael Ringland

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

Today I posted on a few Monte pages on Facebook asking where I could find a complete set of vinyl trim. I have a '72 that is a non-vinyl roof car and I saw that a guy on one of those pages added a vinyl roof to his non-vinyl roof car with some sort of aftermarket studs that mount to the roof, rather than the welded studs that come on a factory vinyl roof car. A few guys told me Year One, a few guys told me OPGI, (which neither carry the complete set of trim). I was also recommended to a few guys, (Leo, Hector) who most likely have a set to sell. 

I used to have a Astro blue 70 with a full vinyl roof, I now have a Fathom blue 72 and would like the same full vinyl vinyl roof that the 70's have. That halo style the 72's have is not too appealing. In my opinion, these first generation Monte's were made to have a vinyl roof. They just look better to me with them.

My question then is, can this really be done? Do those aftermarket studs really exist? Where can I find them? Am I crazy for wanting to add a vinyl roof to my car?

My Monte is garage kept and I try to only wash it twice a year. I'm not too concerned about water getting under the roof and causing rot. I've heard all the horror stories about roofs rotting off of vinyl roof cars, but those were daily driven for 30 years, so it's not a real fear for me. 

What do you guys think?

Mike 

#2 stangeba

stangeba

Original Owner

• Members

• 4,661 posts
  • LocationShelby Township, Michigan
  • Legal Name:Bruce Stange
  • Occupation:Retired from E. I. DuPont Automotive Finishes still working at Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Parts Company.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

Never had one, never will, but that's just me.

Way too much work.

Bruce

Posted Image
Original Owner since May 14 1971

#3 Rock

Rock

Bronze Member

• Members

• 1,813 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Legal Name:Glen

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

If I had my choice I would do away with the vinyl roof. Mine has it and wish it didn't.
Posted Image
Nothing special about this Monte. No SS, no rare options just a super sweet car to drive and take me back to the good old days!

#4 overdrive

overdrive

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,760 posts
  • LocationHannibal, MO

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

I prefer the vinyl, but they look great both ways. I've had both. I bought some of the studs you're referring to. They work great. They can also be used for the stainless trim clips that go in the rear window and windshield glass channels. I may have gotten them on eBay.

Dan
http://www.picturetr...com/57overdrive
70 Monte Carlo SS454 [I'm restoring it now]
71 Monte Carlo 350 [restored]

#5 Rob Peters

Rob Peters

Retired Vice President FGMCC

• Administrators

• 15,224 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa. USA
  • Legal Name:Rob Peters
  • Occupation:Retired Senior Field Engineer Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:04 PM

You speak of full vinyl roof and Halo vinyl roof  There were two different Halo roofs.  The first was the "Full Halo"  which was on most 70 Monte's  This halo not only had body color above the side drip rails but also had body color across the front windshield.  Some late 70's and all 71 and 72's had the standard Halo roof where the only difference between the Full Halo and the other Halo was on the regular Halo the vinyl material extended to under the top windshield trim.  

Most people refer to the full vinyl roof as one that extends into the upper windshield trim and all the way across the roof from drip rail to drip rail with trim only around the lower sail panel and across the trunk.  No Monte's came from the factory like this but some dealers would offer it as a dealer or outside vendor installation.  I am not sure what exactly you are looking for.

The clips you are asking about I know are available and if I can find it in other posts in the archives I will post that her.  These get screwed to the body.  If you like the look of offsetting colors that the vinyl roof provides you could do a two tone paint job similar to how it was done from the factory like mine.

rob

To access my website click the link below

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain...robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

#6 mikeringland

mikeringland

• Members

• 86 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:45 AM

Rob,

My '70 had a vinyl roof that went under the top of the windshield and had trim that ran parallel to the drip rail, creating a small area of paint between the two. This is the type that I want for my '72.

Mike

#7 Rob Peters

Rob Peters

Retired Vice President FGMCC

• Administrators

• 15,224 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa. USA
  • Legal Name:Rob Peters
  • Occupation:Retired Senior Field Engineer Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:13 AM

Yes Mike, I did mention that in my above reply that some late 70's did have the 71/72 Halo trim rather than the Full Halo trim, depending upon which factory it was built in and when that factory ran out of the Full Halo trim.
rob
To access my website click the link below

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain...robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

#8 monte70car

monte70car

Chrome Member

• Members

• 8,860 posts
  • Locationalexandria,va

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

I have a 72 that was a non vinyl top. I have a set of the 71-72 top trim which I plan on using for a factory two tone look. I plan to use the 3m double sided tape to install the trim with using the die cast corners as a hold down.

robert

#9 RealRed70

RealRed70

• Members

• 482 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • Legal Name:Dan Starr

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

If you can not find a set of trim, I should have a nice full set that came off a 72 that I would be willing to sell. Let me know if interested..

#10 mikeringland

mikeringland

• Members

• 86 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:18 AM

So I decided to move forward with adding a vinyl top to my '72. I purchased the trim from Dan, and I purchased a black vinyl roof, a 20 pack of shoulder screws, plastic clips and the corner pieces from OPGI. 

Does anyone know how many pins are installed on the roof from the factory? Also, what is the spacing from pin to pin?

Does anyone have a photo of the pin layout without the trim on the car, just to get a visual of how to lay them out?

My plan was to install all the screws and clips myself and have an upholstery shop install the vinyl and trim. Could I install the vinyl myself, or just leave it up to the professionals?

Mike 

#11 Leghome

Leghome

Maytag "Danged Agitator"

• Members

• 4,897 posts
  • Location35 mi NE of INDY
  • Legal Name:Larry E Gilbert

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

I would leave it to the professionals. They put the top on and then install the clips where needed at least that is what one shop around here does.

http://www.firstgenm...-monte-trailer/
Larry E Gilbert
Markleville IN
"IF'n I had know retirement was this good I'd have done it a lot sooner"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Home Page
Mission|Benefits|Join|Renew|Merchandise
Message Forum
Members' Montes|Meet Photos
Tech Info|Museum|Parts|Registry|Links|Contact Us