NEW ROOF

KWick_70MC

i am starting on the 71 this winter. i pulled the vinyl top off and did preliminary inspection. I am seriously considering putting a new roof skin, window channels and front cross brace on. the forehead of the roof is rusted thru about 3 - 4 feet of the 5 - 6. The window channels are rusted thru in about 1/3 of each window. I have a few questions for the group.

1. is there a brand of repops that are better than others? i have looked at AMD/OPGI/Beldenspeed
2. has anyone done a complete new skin before and is it as straight forward as it looks
3. Does the chevelle roof skin work or is there one for monte's now?
4. if I cut the roof skin off and the forward cross support off the "A" pillar, do I need to weld some support in before hand to keep the "A" pillars from sagging?

basically you can order a new roof and all the pieces to fix the windows and replace everything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i found a donor car from texas. the guy cut the trunk off to make a couch. hacked up beautiful rear quarters. i got it for a really good price because he wanted it gone. its a 71 shell. so now I have a frame and 71 diirs not rusted to get rid of.

• 5 months later...

Okay so a new roof skin turned into new wheel wells, new 1/4s bith sides, new floor, cross braces , and of course the roof.

What sound deadoning material do you guys put in?? I was thinking the sticky vent material that MCFAN recommended for the floors. I have the three metal strips that go fore and aft that held up the old material. Just wondering if it sits in sun at the show will it stop sticking after awhile.

Okay so a new roof skin turned into new wheel wells, new 1/4s bith sides, new floor, cross braces , and of course the roof.

What sound deadoning material do you guys put in?? I was thinking the sticky vent material that MCFAN recommended for the floors. I have the three metal strips that go fore and aft that held up the old material. Just wondering if it sits in sun at the show will it stop sticking after awhile.

• 2 years later...

It started out to be just a new roof. I may have gotten a little carried away. Now I am going to get the fenders and doors done, and then start putting it back together.