A/c wiring problems 1970

1970monteac

Looking for help with 1970 a/c car. It looks like someone cut out the wire from the horn relay and added the short orange wire to a fusible link connected to another orange wire that goes straight to the bulkhead on the bottom left. Is it possible this wire into fuse box was added or was it already there here and they just hooked it up together?? Any help would be great. The long orange wire seems to be factory still taped together with the rest of the loom carrying the other wires. This seems to be the only thing altered on the car. It's an all original survivor that I bought off of the original owner.

• Like 1

Scott,

Here in the Electrical Forum there are wiring diagrams for the 70 Monte.  Click on the very first thumbnail picture and take a look at the very first picture in that post.  There are three legs on the horn relay.  The second one from the right is an orange  wire with a fusible link that looks like it joins a red wire and another orange wire with another fusable link.  You will notice a couple wire color changes .  I hope this helps you out.

rob

Scott,

Based on your description, I'm not so sure there is anything unusual or non-stock about the wiring you are describing - a photo would definitely help.

I took a photo of the Voltage Regulator and Horn Relay on my '70 SS with A/C and it matches the wiring diagram quite well.  

post-567-0-72888500-1506653297_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-56707000-1506653327_thumb.jpg

The short orange wire that is connected to the Voltage Regulator (black box on the left in photo below) connects to a fusible link and continues as a larger red wire to the A/C compressor.  You can also see a larger red wire (that come over from the junction block near the battery) connected to the Horn Relay.  According to the wiring diagram, both of those red wires are common carriers of +12 V.

I don't understand your comment, "It looks like someone cut out the wire from the horn relay"  Which wire?

The "short orange wire" that connects to a fusible link is clearly stock, not an addition.  I connects to the Voltage Regulator, not the Horn Relay so it has not been moved if that is where it is today.

I agree that wiring in that area looks confusing, but I believe you are looking at a stock configuration for an A/C car.

The wire coming off of the horn relay is supposed to be there. It has a fusible link near the blower relay. It runs along the driver side wheel well behind the distributor and into a orange wire that is part of the relay for blower motor. The diagram you gave me isn't for the car I have with a/c. Mine is very different unfortunately. The wire off the horn relay has been cut and left hanging by the distributor. Instead of being hooked up to the relay someone ran an all orange wire from the fuse block to the relay instead. If I'm reading the four seasons schematic correctly the orange wire at the relay is for high speed only. This is where I am having trouble.