#1 amsterdam84

amsterdam84

Eastern Meet Canadian Stalker

• Members

• 1,227 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada
  • Legal Name:Mike

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:04 PM

Has anyone done this mod? Come from this site.

http://www.shiftwork...72-chevelle.htm

Looking at the guage upgrade and replacing my broken clock for the tach.
Mike

#2 RealRed70

RealRed70

• Members

• 505 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • Legal Name:Dan Starr

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

I have not used that kit, but I have used the kit in the link I have attached many times with great success. That kit will cost you more money by the time you are done than the kit I have posted. It will also not look correct at all in your car. Not sure if that matters to you, but if I was spending that amount of money I would want it to look factory correct. Just my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/...WAAAOxy9eVRKjzo

He has kits for all small block or big block applications. Just ask him if you do not see them listed.

#3 MCfan

MCfan

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,603 posts
  • LocationPunta Gorda, FL (winter); Crosslake, MN (summer)
  • Legal Name:Dennis Bengtson

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

Mike,

There have been quite a few post threads on dash gauge conversions the past few years.  Here's a LINK to just one of them and you can find several more by using the Search feature with entries like "gauges", "idiot lights" or "dash conversions".

I completely agree with Dan's recommendation that you consider the excellent conversion kit offered on eBay by sonnie24.  If you decide to go that route, there is a project photo journal and more detailed instructions available to assist your project.

Dennis

sml_gallery_567_4_470590.jpg                                     sml_gallery_567_4_3184004.jpg

1970 matching #'s 402/M20 4-speed/3.31 12-bolt Posi                1970 SS454/TH400/2.56 12-bolt Posi
Punta Gorda, FL                                                                        Crosslake, MN

#4 Murphy

Murphy

Silver Member

• Members

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Mike, I too have used the kit offered by Sonnie, the quality is excellent and has good instructions. Dennis' link is very helpful to clarify Sonnie''s instructions. Sonnie's kit uses an AMP gauge, Shift works has a VOLT gauge, totally different wiring. I sent my AMP gauge out to be converted to VOLTS, my preference.....Shift works didn't offer this package when I did my conversion. Good luck!

I started out with Nothing........I still have most of it!
1971 SBC355, Muncie M20 4-Speed

#5 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

Advanced Member

• Members

• 89 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA
  • Legal Name:Chris Harris

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:23 PM

I am getting ready to install the complete Shiftworks idiot light conversion kit, along with the clock to tachometer change-out. I will post up some pictures of the install. 

sml_gallery_5838_288_247210.jpg1971 Monte Carlo, #'s matching 350cid with TH350, Factory "Lime Green" with original "Antique White" painted top.

#6 stangeba

stangeba

Original Owner

• Members

• 4,691 posts
  • LocationShelby Township, Michigan
  • Legal Name:Bruce Stange
  • Occupation:Retired from E. I. DuPont Automotive Finishes still working at Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Parts Company.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:19 AM

No, I did it the easy way, purchased a 1971 with 350 4BBL and NO A/C, like mine, from a co worker, swapped all the items I needed (except the sending unit in the right cyl head) then sold the donor car.

I sure was lucky!

Bruce

Posted Image
Original Owner since May 14 1971

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Home Page
Mission|Benefits|Join|Renew|Merchandise
Message Forum
Members' Montes|Meet Photos
Tech Info|Museum|Parts|Registry|Links|Contact Us