Brake light issue

awhitlow0869

Had the booster and master cylinder replaced on my 72 while it was in the shop. Now the brake light on the dash is on and I have no brake lights when I hit the pedal. I was told by someone else that my parking brake wire was hanging under the car. Would that be my issue? The bulbs are good I know because I have replaced them both and the running lights are working. If the parking brake wire was not plugged up would that be the reason I don’t have brake lights when driving, or is there something else I should be looking for? Seems like every time I let someone else work on my car it comes back with more issues. Any suggestions on what to look for or how to fix it? Thanks folks.

Your "brake light " switch is connected at the brake pedal assembly. it either needs adjusting or is bad. it is a plunge style switch. "button" push brake pedal, brake lights on, release pedal lights off. this switch is adjustable.  Also, your proportioning valve down on your frame below the master cylinder also has a wire connected to it (brown/white?) , make sure it is plugged into the top side of valve. it has a pin coming out of the top of it. could be broken off. When I finished my restoration my switch was hung up in the "on" position, person at a car show let me know my brake lights were on after I had left my car sitting. a little adjustment of that switch, all is good.

post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

Turn on your 4 way flashers.

Do they work? (ft and rear)

If yes, now apply the brake and they should stop flashing and stay on.

If no, the brake light switch or it's wires are probably the problem.

Sounds like the wire for the proportioning valve is off.

The parking brake has a wire going to it to warn you that your parking brake is applied. Make sure that is connected.

Good luck!

Here is where the brake light switch is.

The brake indicator light in the instrument cluster is lit by the plunger in the brake line combination valve (often called the proportioning valve) or another switch on the parking brake pedal arm.

post-201-0-61462300-1509112952_thumb.jpg