Color dilemma

Tdub

I'm restoring my '70 that has an interior coded for sandalwood.  The seats and door panels are clearly sandalwood but the dash, dash pad and steering column are a darker color.  The color is sort of a tannish, greenish gray.  I'm converting to buckets and console and thus need to convert the steering column.  I have the pieces to replace the column shift I'm removing but I don't know what color paint to order to match what's original.  Can' anyone tell me what color dash etc. would have come in a car coded for sandalwood?

I have both a 70 and 71 with sandalwood interior so I know the struggle of the several shades of colour in Sandalwood interiors. I also need to get a hold of some of that paint colour for the dash. One paint place i went to needs a smooth flat surface to take a reading from in order to mix the paint. Everything is either curved, has texture or is not a large enough flat area so no luck so far. I'll have to find someone who can custom match it someday.

Here's my unrestored 1970 interior

gallery_588_9_1413157471_1704.jpg

sw_70monte.jpg

Also note that if you order sandalwood carpet from a carpet supplier, you don't get the correct colour. I asked for swatches of several colours that looked like it could match and found one that matched the original carpet.

I have yet to find a rear package tray that is the factory correct colour for 1970 Sandalwood either. 

If you figure out the dash color, let me know.  Where did you get the cloth front seat cover?  I searched high and low for a cloth sandalwood seat cover with no success.  I'm going to have them made if necessary $$$$$$$$.  If I didn't like the sandalwood color so much, I probably would have just switched the whole interior to black.

I got the seat covers from Legendary Interiors. It is listed in their catalog. Perfect match. As you can see above the front is new Legendary and the rear is original. You can't tell the difference. I was considering switching this car to buckets but the cost to do it was getting pretty high. Buckets were not available in Sandalwood in 1970 so there would be an extra charge for Legendary to do this custom order.

I got the carpet from Auto Custom Carpets. The fit is great but they need the usual trimming to get it installed. The important thing to note is not to do the final trimming on the outer edges until the seat, etc are bolted down to avoid trimming too much. I can't recall the colour that I ordered. I'll have to look that up. 

Thanks for the info.  I didn't know you couldn't get sandalwood buckets.  I still think I'm going to try to have them made using NOS material by a local Amish upholstery guy who's done some stuff for me in the past.

• Like 1