Is my starter bad?

Dito707

Recently my 70'monte carlo won't turn over, when I turn the key it trys to start, then it stops but you can hear the starter humming a "vvvveeeevvv" noise, Is it the starter or solenoid, please help thanx

Hi. It sounds like the starter solinoid is going bad. It’s not “kicking” out the bendix (gear that meshes with the flywheel). I personally would just get a new starter. You can get a new one relatively cheap. It’s just easier and quicker to just change the starter than remove the starter and then r/r the solinoid. All up to you though. Lol either way, good luck.

Mc1 thanx alot for the input, can u recommend a way to pull out the starter, I can't fit under the car it's too low, should I use 2 jack stands in the front or 2 on one side of the car (1 in front and 1 in rear) thanx again

Definitely 2 jack stands for safety. I usually put one on each side on the frame behind the front wheels. Disconnect the battery!!! Then there are usually 2 bolts holding the starter to the block. Sometimes there is a 3rd bolt/ bracket in the front of the starter. Usually through the years this bracket “disappears “. Then lower the starter and disconnect the battery wire from the starter and the smaller wires from the solinoid. Take note of which terminal the small wires are on. And just reverse the process for the installation of the new starter. I hope this helped. I know I may have made it sound easy. Lol it is. And I have done hundreds so it is second nature to me.

You are welcome. Yes the bendix is part of the starter. I don’t believe that it is bad though. You say the starter makes a noise and doesn’t engage the flywheel. Usually it is the solinoid that “throws” the bendix out. A new starter is quicker and easier in my opinion. Just my .02.

Ok guys I'm kinda stressing now, so I pulled out my starter no problem there, then bought a new a.c. delco, but it looks different then my original and it came with shims, also I had to buy new longer starter bolts, the old ones were too short, also on my original the the two bolts were side by side but on the new one they are in a diagonal position, the store where I bought it said this is how all the new starters are you mite shim them.... is that B.S.? Then I went to another shop just to ask questions and they say I must not have an original monte engine block they said I should get a starter for a 70's el Camino that has the side by side bolts, but I did notice after I took out the original starter there were 3 holes in the block even tho there were only.two bolts..... ugggg I'm fustrated,I have pics of.the new starter and the engine block holes if it well help but I don't k ow.how.to post them.....please save me lol thanx guys

Ok guys I'm kinda stressing now, so I pulled out my starter no problem there, then bought a new a.c. delco, but it looks different then my original and it came with shims, also I had to buy new longer starter bolts, the old ones were too short, also on my original the the two bolts were side by side but on the new one they are in a diagonal position, the store where I bought it said this is how all the new starters are you mite shim them.... is that B.S.? Then I went to another shop just to ask questions and they say I must not have an original monte engine block they said I should get a starter for a 70's el Camino that has the side by side bolts, but I did notice after I took out the original starter there were 3 holes in the block even tho there were only.two bolts..... ugggg I'm fustrated,I have pics of.the new starter and the engine block holes if it well help but I don't k ow.how.to post them.....please save me lol thanx guys

First of all, stay calm. Welcome to the world of working on cars. And that was not to be mean. Some starters need to be shimmed. As far as the bolt holes, any configuration will work with your block. Some starters even had one short bolt and one long. If you are not happy with the look of the new starter, see if you can return it. Did you bring your old one with you to match up? Again, the new one you got should be fine. (Without seeing it). If you decide to try the new starter, I have found that one shim between the block and starter is a good starting point. Should the starter “grind” more shims are needed till it stops. Hope this helps.

Mc1 thanx again, I don't care how the starter looks I just wanna make sure it fits, and.yes I brought the old starter with me for the core charge, they looked very similar except the holes where the bolts go, that's what had me the most worried, but your saying one in the front and one in the back well work the same as side by side bolts awesome, then I will try to install it..... thanx bro!

Ok i got the new starter in, but when I turn the key, it's cranking the motor just fine like its about to start, but it won't turn completely over to start, I didn't use any of the shims but I dont hear any grinding, could that be the problem? What could it be?

Ok I got it started!!!!! I owe much to all you guys for the info, it turned out the my butterflys were stuck shut and that's why when I put the new starter in it wasn't gettin fuel or air, the new starter a.c. delco works great so far but it's only been one day lol, I'm just worried about the shims, I didn't use any but there no grinding, I just hope the placement between the bendix and fly wheel are correct