6 replies to this topic

#1 VT Monte

VT Monte

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Legal Name:Ken

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

Went out driving the other day and noticed the handling got a little squirrelly under braking and turns. Took a look when I got home and noticed the passenger side wheel has tons of negative camber now, almost an inch and a half off neutral/vertical. Driver side is still neutral.

My first inclination was to adjust it back to vertical with some shims on the control arm but because only one wheel went weird on me like this what else could have gone wrong/broken? If possible I'd like to replace the parts that need replacing before handing it over for a professional alignment. Everything is 1970 stock currently except the coil springs.

#2 MCfan

MCfan

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,589 posts
  • LocationPunta Gorda, FL (winter); Crosslake, MN (summer)
  • Legal Name:Dennis Bengtson

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:37 AM

Ken,

With a sudden shift in camber of that amount, your Monte has undoubtedly experienced complete failure of one or more suspension components.  It could be any of the upper or lower control arm bushings or ball joints, the upper control arm mounting bar or some combination of these.  I suggest you not drive the car again until you figure out and replace whatever has failed. 

If you jack the front passenger side up enough to get the wheel off the ground and put it on a jack stand with rear wheels blocked, you might be able to wobble the front wheel enough while observing the suspension components to see where there is excessive play.  I've completely rebuilt the front suspension on both of my '70s and found some normal wear but nothing like what you are describing.

Dennis

sml_gallery_567_4_470590.jpg                                     sml_gallery_567_4_3184004.jpg

1970 matching #'s 402/M20 4-speed/3.31 12-bolt Posi                1970 SS454/TH400/2.56 12-bolt Posi
Punta Gorda, FL                                                                        Crosslake, MN

#3 VT Monte

VT Monte

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

I figured as much. Thanks. Sounds like a good excuse to start upgrading during the winter months.

#4 Murphy

Murphy

Silver Member

• Members

• 1,522 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

An inch&half from vertical is a lot! Don't drive it, I'll bet it's a wheel bearing. Jack her up and see how much slop you have in the wheel...good luck!

I started out with Nothing........I still have most of it!
1971 SBC355, Muncie M20 4-Speed

#5 cny first gen 71

cny first gen 71

Platinum Member

• Members

• 4,653 posts
  • LocationLiverpool N.Y. USA
  • Legal Name:Steve Lavoie

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

Check the shims to see if any have fallen out, I had this happen on mine. Bent broken or worn is about the only reason a car will go out of alignment and to happen all of a sudden like that is strange. Look it over good as the others have said, shouldn't be to hard to find being that far off.

There is no such thing as strangers, only friends we have yet to meet.

#6 VT Monte

VT Monte

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:37 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'll let you know what I find when I get the time to look at her. 

#7 Rob Peters

Rob Peters

Retired Vice President FGMCC

• Administrators

• 15,262 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa. USA
  • Legal Name:Rob Peters
  • Occupation:Retired Senior Field Engineer Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

Yes, that much out is a lot.  Like the others have said something has suddenly failed.  If the upper control  bolts came loose I agree with Steve that the shims could have fallen out.  A complete failure of one of the control arm bushings could have also happened since almost 50 year old rubber bushings of an original suspension (you did say it was all original except the springs) failing would not surprise me.  

It will be interesting to hear the final solution.

rob

To access my website click the link below

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain...robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Home Page
Mission|Benefits|Join|Renew|Merchandise
Message Forum
Members' Montes|Meet Photos
Tech Info|Museum|Parts|Registry|Links|Contact Us