Radio issue

mikeringland

I have a Custom Autosound 630 radio in my '72 and I've developed an issue with it.

It works perfectly fine with the 4 speakers (2 rear, 2 front kick panel) and bass tube when the engine is off and the key is in the "on" position.

When the car is running, at first the radio is fine, but then once I start to drive it, the sound from the speakers cuts in and out like a CD skipping. If I shut off the radio, I sometimes still get popping noises here and there from the rear speakers.

Both the battery feed and ignition feed are new from the fuseblock and appear to be fine. The ground is from the original wiring harness and also seems fine (since the power to the radio is uninterrupted). I even ran a secondary ground from the stud with the 2 nuts on the back of the radio to a support under the dash.

I've read online that converting a points distributor to a HEI distributor can create RF interference and cause a similar problem. This problem occurs with FM radio and when I'm using my Ipod. I did just convert to HEI, but can't remember if the problem was there beforehand.

I am honestly lost on how to solve this problem. Could the alternator be causing a voltage problem when the car is running? Could the factory ground be good enough when the car is off, but not when running/driving?

If anyone has any ideas or has seen this before, please help.

Thanks,

Mike