Wiring Help

ripleydale

On an unrelated quest underneath my dashboard of my 71, I've run across a few things I'm not quite sure about and hoping someone can help.

One is a connector, with orange, light blue, yellow and brown. Seems like a lot of wires. Could this be rear defrost? I know I don't have that connected.

Second issues around connector on steering column. Someone has done a butcher job of sorts. Not sure if the connector stopped working on a couple of points and he wanted to bypass or what. The two on the end, the green and light blue mess that's still connected, and the white to black that is pulled apart right now. Looking at the service manual, it would lead me to believe it's related to the hazards or signal lights. It all still seems to work, so not sure what the broken white to black does. I'm not sure why he would leave the wires in the connector but still bypass the connector. Am I missing something? I'm thinking I just reconnect them and skip the connector. Any thoughts?

post-307-0-71747100-1511122141_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-78703700-1511122151_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-47815600-1511122166_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-52933400-1511122179_thumb.jpg

On an unrelated quest underneath my dashboard of my 71, I've run across a few things I'm not quite sure about and hoping someone can help.

Am I missing something? I'm thinking I just reconnect them and skip the connector. Any thoughts?

Can someone help, and are you missing something............ 

YES rip it all out as its crap and you can HAVE the spare uncut 71 dash harness I have, it's a spare in the shed Kelly.......!

the 4 wire plug with 2 orange wires is your heater switch for a non ac car.

I also have two spare steering column harness's as well Kelly as it looks like you are going to need one of those from your pics....

If you want to try and fix what you have I can figure out your wires but might be better to get another uncut harness, let me know..

Darren

Not in the cards to do a wire install but thanks for the generous offer. I'll probably just splice them back together a little nicer and ignore the connector. Might figure out what type of power it has before I tuck it up there. I may come back to this car again after I finish the SS.

That plug in your hand plugs in at the back of the heater control.

That's interesting. I believe the fan still works so it must have something to do with controlling the AC which I pulled from my car. Thanks Dan.