Trim Install and Removal Questions

ripleydale

In prep for paint I've been removing the trim from my 71 monte. Definitely some swearing going on but I got it all off. The previous person applied some of it with silicon that apparently does one hell of a job of sticking it on. Kind of a [censored] to remove it though. 

It seems to me the best way to install the lower trim is to have the clips on the moldings, and then press everything onto the car. Correct me if I got that wrong. 

So having said that, how do I best remove the clips that remain on the car? The big plastic things above the rocker molding can pry out, but seems like a real [censored] and you can see the metal bending around it. Those little metal spider clips that seem to be used on a lot of molding pieces seem to break when I'm trying to get them out, leaving the little end bit inside to rattle around and rust. Any tricks to getting these bits out of the car?

While on the subject, and maybe to get some good answers in one post, where do you recommend getting replacement clips from? 

post-307-0-46823300-1511122872_thumb.jpg

Hey Kelly when I did my 71, it was easy to pop off those white flat ones from inside the door. with the door panel off and window up good old needle nose pliers help to pinch the plastic wings so you can push them out from inside. 

The Metal spider type ones you can buy new from Inline tube in the USA and they only come off unfortunately with needle nose or side cutters and wiggle out. they will break but at least they are out and get the new ones from Inline tube like I did as well as the white now yellow flat plastic ones for the wider trim..

Darren

For anyone's reference, I had some good success heating the plastic clips with a heat gun, and they popped out pretty easy. The metal clips came out best when I broke off half of the clip and then sort of yanked it out. The ones furthest forward can be reached behind the plastic inner fender, and there is a nut on the top one.

• 4 weeks later...