Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
ADGTRUNKLID

Black Friday

The LED light kit arrived in the morning mail - looking forward to installing them after a brief rest under the tree!  Please let me know if the final total including shipping was more than my original payment.

Thanks again, Lloyd, for sponsoring and handling this club benefit for us!  

It may have been a little more but I am not going to sweat the small stuff; just glad we were able to pull it off before he changed his mind. Merry Christmas to all...

Does anybody have the instructions for this thing?

Looking at the pic supplied installed, looks like simply looking at that pic identifies orientation up/down.  Also the wiring is identified on the 2 page instruction picture sheets (if you received the Instructions with your order.  The 3 wire 1157 Sockets I bought are identified as (White - Tail lights), (Red - Brake lights) and (Black - Ground).  So and correct me if I am wrong and am assuming using the additional 1157 3 Wire Faux Sockets!  Take the White wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach to Black for Tail Lights, take the Red wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach Red for Brake lights, take Black wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach to Green for Ground.  The supplied Yellow Wire (Optional) is not needed for our Cars if you are not bastardizing your original rear harness.

The connectors supplied I'm not sure I will use.  I think Butt Connectors on each of the 3 wires and heat shrink tubing should be better for protection against climate.  Am considering plugging that extra 1157 Socket in also just to help protect from climate if it will work in unused Tail Light Bulb Socket.  Someone mentioned plastic shims?  Not certain what that is about!

Haven't installed yet, just making sure I have everything and know where they go.

If I missed anything, please advise.  Don't want to get this wrong.............................. :doh:

Doug     

Looking at the pic supplied installed, looks like simply looking at that pic identifies orientation up/down.  Also the wiring is identified on the 2 page instruction picture sheets (if you received the Instructions with your order.  The 3 wire 1157 Sockets I bought are identified as (White - Tail lights), (Red - Brake lights) and (Black - Ground).  So and correct me if I am wrong and am assuming using the additional 1157 3 Wire Faux Sockets!  Take the White wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach to Black for Tail Lights, take the Red wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach Red for Brake lights, take Black wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach to Green for Ground.  The supplied Yellow Wire (Optional) is not needed for our Cars if you are not bastardizing your original rear harness.

The connectors supplied I'm not sure I will use.  I think Butt Connectors on each of the 3 wires and heat shrink tubing should be better for protection against climate.  Am considering plugging that extra 1157 Socket in also just to help protect from climate if it will work in unused Tail Light Bulb Socket.  Someone mentioned plastic shims?  Not certain what that is about!

Haven't installed yet, just making sure I have everything and know where they go.

If I missed anything, please advise.  Don't want to get this wrong.............................. :doh:

Doug     

I think I mentioned filling the extra hole with dielectric grease; and using the grommet in the hole I filled the gap with a weatherproof silicone; to keep any moisture out. It has been a while since I installed mine but I believe one of the wires was optional; and not needed. 

Not sure if you need 2 per side, as I think the wiring can be done with just one pigtail adapter per side.

You could put Die Electric grease in the open pigtail hole to prevent corrosion, I like this one here myself 

https://www.oreillya...electric grease

Santa came by my place!

Awesome so glad that everyone is receiving their new tail lights. The last order I received late might take a little longer as it was shipped much later.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

I got mine already but since my Monte Carlo is the color of a Coors Light can right now, I'm just leaving them in the box until they're ready to be installed.

Finally found some time to get the Shiney Hiney taillights installed today.  Glad I got the recommended 1157 socket pigtails.  In addition to making this modification completely reversible, I never could see how to get to the back side of the original lamp sockets so I don't know how I would have ever installed them with the enclosed instructions.

The most challenging part of the install was figuring out the wiring lengths, routing and connections to utilize the very limited space around one of the two lamp sockets.  The wires have to be fairly short to fit into the open space but still long enough to allow the plug to be installed in the socket with LED assembly out of the way.  Coiling the wires and butt connectors (the connectors in the kit were too large) once around the socket seemed to work well.  Thanks to Doug for the pigtail-to-lamp assembly wire connection instructions.

post-567-0-35499300-1514669905_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-34432000-1514670009_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-64667700-1514669706_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-06422800-1514669753_thumb.jpg

I plugged the lower lamp socket with a vinyl 1/2" rod cap and reused the thinner stock gaskets behind each lens.  

post-567-0-87414700-1514669932_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-35801100-1514669960_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-02547100-1514669980_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-02769900-1514670102_thumb.jpg

Everything fell into place and they seem to work fine.  Thanks again to Lloyd for sponsoring and facilitating this group purchase!

Finally found some time to get the Shiney Hiney taillights installed today.  Glad I got the recommended 1157 socket pigtails.  In addition to making this modification completely reversible, I never could see how to get to the back side of the original lamp sockets so I don't know how I would have ever installed them with the enclosed instructions.

The most challenging part of the install was figuring out the wiring lengths, routing and connections to utilize the very limited space around one of the two lamp sockets.  The wires have to be fairly short to fit into the open space but still long enough to allow the plug to be installed in the socket with LED assembly out of the way.  Coiling the wires and butt connectors (the connectors in the kit were too large) once around the socket seemed to work well.  Thanks to Doug for the pigtail-to-lamp assembly wire connection instructions.

attachicon.gifIMG_0228.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0231.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0209.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0213.JPG

I plugged the lower lamp socket with a vinyl 1/2" rod cap and reused the thinner stock gaskets behind each lens.  

attachicon.gifIMG_0211.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0223.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0224.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0225.JPG

Everything fell into place and they seem to work fine.  Thanks again to Lloyd for sponsoring and facilitating this group purchase!

Just a FYI - By removing the rubber grommet from inside Trunk exposing the upper Lamp Socket along with Tail Light wiring Harness.  The only way I was able to get the bottom was to remove Bumper and then I could reach up and manipulate the Harness.  I had tried last year to remove the Tail Light Harness by threading it up through the Rear Extension(s).  While the Driver Side cooperated excellently, I could not get the same result on Passenger Side.  Had to remove Rear Bumper to expose wiring so I could manipulate it through a restriction.  Was a bit of a pain, but finally removed/replaced Harness.  With Bumper removed, much quicker to replace Harness.

Doug

Hope everyone had a Happy Holiday... Very cool to see all the pics and cool to hear the pigtail adapter fit in the OEM socket and behind the http://www.shiny-hiney.com/ circuit board; had I know I would have went with that setup.

I saw this on eBAY if anyone else has a interest.  You will need to perform due diligence to ensure these are like the group buy we recently did.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-LED-Stop-Taillight-Conversion-Kit-FITS-1970-1971-1972/202228160128?hash=item2f15bcd680:g:2p4AAOSwt4xag5tr&vxp=mtr   

Doug

So i installed these today and they look awesome. i like the strobe when you first turn on the lights and hit the brakes. I am however, having a problem. I realize its probably going to be a lot of trial and error. Here's how it goes, everything works...except when the lights are on i have no blinkers in the new led's. Up front works either way, rears work when the lights are off but as soon as i hit the lights i lose the rear blinkers. i will say i did not use the pig tail socket adapters instead i soldered and used heat shrink to directly connect the harness. kinda wishing i did now seeing as how I'm having problems. could i have wired it wrong? i know read the l.e.d. flasher is not necessary but I'm wondering if i should take extra precautions. I have dakota digital gauges but the blinkers are just piggy backed to the indicators i cant imagine that could be a issue.

as always any and all help would be appreciated, even if its telling me to move this thread somewhere else.

thanks

Brandon

Glad you like them. If you didn't , I'd gladly buy them back from you!! That said, I think you need to upgrade your Flasher ( in fuse panel) to a variable voltage style. Installed it in mine, no problems. Had these in for 2yrs now, did the same as you, soldered all connections and shrink wrapped all wires. Hope this works for you too. Got mine from Autozone.

Jim

sorry for the lack of update. I love the lights! i knew this was something i did. I got everything fixed and i could of saved myself a bit of time and frustration if i stepped back from it and approached it logically. I did put a electronic flasher on right away for cheap insurance, plus i just like the loud audible click it makes when signals are on. Basically after cutting out all my heat shrink and pretty soldered connections i went through and put a test light on it, jumped the left to the right, the right to left, really anything i could think of to narrow down why that 40+ year wiring wasn't working. After a frustrating night i went back through this forum and realized i put the circuit board in with the big new gasket on top and then cranked down the lens assembly. That was my no no. i went out and backed the screws off and what do you know everything works! As a more permanent solution i cut slits in the middle of the big gasket for the four tabs of the board so its sandwiched in there. re-soldered everything pretty again and i am one happy camper. 

Moral of the story, do not ground out your lights. these things are awesome! my 5 yr old will be the first to tell you how cool the strobe looks through a cloud of smoke. 

thanks again

Well friends, after all this time, I was able to roll the car out from the wall to do some back of car work (no front suspension, I put the nose on wheeled jackstands).

I had a heck of a time getting the lens on with the LED board in place. Staying with the original stock gasket, the lens & lens trim sat out too far to allow the horseshoe trim to go on. I carefully re-did it a few times to make sure I had it right. Always stuck out too far.

I tried it with NO gasket. Finally it all fit. BUT now the LED's didn't work. :mad: :mad:

I pulled it out, tried re-plugging it (I have the 1157 style pigtails on them) and confirmed with a regular lamp that I had good power.

SO, one LED board somehow got damaged. I didn't even bother trying the second one.

I bought a set of 2357 bulbs, a little brighter than stock lamps, put them in, lenses, trims, horseshoes and called it a day. :cry2: :cry2:

Oh. Well.