#101 Paul Bell

Paul Bell

Bronze Member

• Members

• 954 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

Still waiting. :cry2: :cry2:

1971 Monte Carlo SS clone, 496 CID, 600 HP 600 ft lbs, 9 inch rear.
1999 Trans Am. Plenty bolt-ons.
2003 Isuzu Ascender Limited DD

#102 ADGTRUNKLID

ADGTRUNKLID

One

• Members

• 263 posts
  • LocationBonney Lake, WA
  • Legal Name:Lloyd J Wilson
  • Occupation:You have reached a non working member of the Boeing Company

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:28 PM

The LED light kit arrived in the morning mail - looking forward to installing them after a brief rest under the tree!  Please let me know if the final total including shipping was more than my original payment.

Thanks again, Lloyd, for sponsoring and handling this club benefit for us!  

It may have been a little more but I am not going to sweat the small stuff; just glad we were able to pull it off before he changed his mind. Merry Christmas to all...

• cbolt likes this
Life happens

#103 ADGTRUNKLID

ADGTRUNKLID

One

• Members

• 263 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:29 PM

Still waiting. :cry2: :cry2:

Give it a couple more days if you don't get them let me know.

Life happens

#104 71MonteCarloMD

71MonteCarloMD

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,193 posts
  • LocationFrederick, MD
  • Legal Name:Rick Baker

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

Got notification that mine will arrive on Sat.
  • ADGTRUNKLID likes this

#105 72-CLASSIC_RIDE

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Silver Member

• Members

• 2,420 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Legal Name:Douglas L Cameron

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:50 PM

Does anybody have the instructions for this thing?

Looking at the pic supplied installed, looks like simply looking at that pic identifies orientation up/down.  Also the wiring is identified on the 2 page instruction picture sheets (if you received the Instructions with your order.  The 3 wire 1157 Sockets I bought are identified as (White - Tail lights), (Red - Brake lights) and (Black - Ground).  So and correct me if I am wrong and am assuming using the additional 1157 3 Wire Faux Sockets!  Take the White wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach to Black for Tail Lights, take the Red wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach Red for Brake lights, take Black wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach to Green for Ground.  The supplied Yellow Wire (Optional) is not needed for our Cars if you are not bastardizing your original rear harness.

The connectors supplied I'm not sure I will use.  I think Butt Connectors on each of the 3 wires and heat shrink tubing should be better for protection against climate.  Am considering plugging that extra 1157 Socket in also just to help protect from climate if it will work in unused Tail Light Bulb Socket.  Someone mentioned plastic shims?  Not certain what that is about!

Haven't installed yet, just making sure I have everything and know where they go.

If I missed anything, please advise.  Don't want to get this wrong.............................. :doh:

Doug     

• MCfan likes this

MYSIGNATUREPIC-1.jpg
1972 CUSTOM (Z03) - 402 CI, TH400, 12 Bolt 331:1 Posi, Power Driver 4-way Seat, Console, Full Gauges, Tilt, A/C, AM/FM Stereo, Power Trunk, Windows, Locks, Cruise Control & Keyless Entry

#106 Paul Bell

Paul Bell

Bronze Member

• Members

• 954 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Santa came by my place!

Attached Files

1971 Monte Carlo SS clone, 496 CID, 600 HP 600 ft lbs, 9 inch rear.
1999 Trans Am. Plenty bolt-ons.
2003 Isuzu Ascender Limited DD

#107 ADGTRUNKLID

ADGTRUNKLID

One

• Members

• 263 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:21 PM

Looking at the pic supplied installed, looks like simply looking at that pic identifies orientation up/down.  Also the wiring is identified on the 2 page instruction picture sheets (if you received the Instructions with your order.  The 3 wire 1157 Sockets I bought are identified as (White - Tail lights), (Red - Brake lights) and (Black - Ground).  So and correct me if I am wrong and am assuming using the additional 1157 3 Wire Faux Sockets!  Take the White wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach to Black for Tail Lights, take the Red wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach Red for Brake lights, take Black wire from 3 wire 1157 Socket and attach to Green for Ground.  The supplied Yellow Wire (Optional) is not needed for our Cars if you are not bastardizing your original rear harness.

The connectors supplied I'm not sure I will use.  I think Butt Connectors on each of the 3 wires and heat shrink tubing should be better for protection against climate.  Am considering plugging that extra 1157 Socket in also just to help protect from climate if it will work in unused Tail Light Bulb Socket.  Someone mentioned plastic shims?  Not certain what that is about!

Haven't installed yet, just making sure I have everything and know where they go.

If I missed anything, please advise.  Don't want to get this wrong.............................. :doh:

Doug     

I think I mentioned filling the extra hole with dielectric grease; and using the grommet in the hole I filled the gap with a weatherproof silicone; to keep any moisture out. It has been a while since I installed mine but I believe one of the wires was optional; and not needed. 

Not sure if you need 2 per side, as I think the wiring can be done with just one pigtail adapter per side.

You could put Die Electric grease in the open pigtail hole to prevent corrosion, I like this one here myself 

https://www.oreillya...electric grease

Life happens

#108 ADGTRUNKLID

ADGTRUNKLID

One

• Members

• 263 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:23 PM

Santa came by my place!

Awesome so glad that everyone is receiving their new tail lights. The last order I received late might take a little longer as it was shipped much later.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

• Canuck and Paul Bell like this
Life happens

#109 72 Monte Carlo

72 Monte Carlo

Advanced Member

• Members

• 39 posts
  • LocationWeston
  • Legal Name:Doug Harral

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

I got mine already but since my Monte Carlo is the color of a Coors Light can right now, I'm just leaving them in the box until they're ready to be installed.

#110 71MonteCarloMD

71MonteCarloMD

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,193 posts
  • LocationFrederick, MD
  • Legal Name:Rick Baker

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:41 PM

Received mine today, thanks Lloyd!

#111 MCfan

MCfan

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationPunta Gorda, FL (winter); Crosslake, MN (summer)
  • Legal Name:Dennis Bengtson

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

Finally found some time to get the Shiney Hiney taillights installed today.  Glad I got the recommended 1157 socket pigtails.  In addition to making this modification completely reversible, I never could see how to get to the back side of the original lamp sockets so I don't know how I would have ever installed them with the enclosed instructions.

The most challenging part of the install was figuring out the wiring lengths, routing and connections to utilize the very limited space around one of the two lamp sockets.  The wires have to be fairly short to fit into the open space but still long enough to allow the plug to be installed in the socket with LED assembly out of the way.  Coiling the wires and butt connectors (the connectors in the kit were too large) once around the socket seemed to work well.  Thanks to Doug for the pigtail-to-lamp assembly wire connection instructions.

Attached File  IMG_0228.JPG   137.92KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0231.JPG   132.5KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0209.JPG   129.14KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0213.JPG   111.99KB   2 downloads

I plugged the lower lamp socket with a vinyl 1/2" rod cap and reused the thinner stock gaskets behind each lens.  

Attached File  IMG_0211.JPG   116.34KB   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0223.JPG   113.64KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0224.JPG   79.17KB   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0225.JPG   132.9KB   2 downloads

Everything fell into place and they seem to work fine.  Thanks again to Lloyd for sponsoring and facilitating this group purchase!

• Paul Bell and ADGTRUNKLID like this

Dennis

sml_gallery_567_4_470590.jpg                                     sml_gallery_567_4_3184004.jpg

1970 matching #'s 402/M20 4-speed/3.31 12-bolt Posi                1970 SS454/TH400/2.56 12-bolt Posi
Punta Gorda, FL                                                                        Crosslake, MN

#112 72-CLASSIC_RIDE

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Silver Member

• Members

• 2,420 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

Finally found some time to get the Shiney Hiney taillights installed today.  Glad I got the recommended 1157 socket pigtails.  In addition to making this modification completely reversible, I never could see how to get to the back side of the original lamp sockets so I don't know how I would have ever installed them with the enclosed instructions.

The most challenging part of the install was figuring out the wiring lengths, routing and connections to utilize the very limited space around one of the two lamp sockets.  The wires have to be fairly short to fit into the open space but still long enough to allow the plug to be installed in the socket with LED assembly out of the way.  Coiling the wires and butt connectors (the connectors in the kit were too large) once around the socket seemed to work well.  Thanks to Doug for the pigtail-to-lamp assembly wire connection instructions.

attachicon.gifIMG_0228.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0231.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0209.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0213.JPG

I plugged the lower lamp socket with a vinyl 1/2" rod cap and reused the thinner stock gaskets behind each lens.  

attachicon.gifIMG_0211.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0223.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0224.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0225.JPG

Everything fell into place and they seem to work fine.  Thanks again to Lloyd for sponsoring and facilitating this group purchase!

Just a FYI - By removing the rubber grommet from inside Trunk exposing the upper Lamp Socket along with Tail Light wiring Harness.  The only way I was able to get the bottom was to remove Bumper and then I could reach up and manipulate the Harness.  I had tried last year to remove the Tail Light Harness by threading it up through the Rear Extension(s).  While the Driver Side cooperated excellently, I could not get the same result on Passenger Side.  Had to remove Rear Bumper to expose wiring so I could manipulate it through a restriction.  Was a bit of a pain, but finally removed/replaced Harness.  With Bumper removed, much quicker to replace Harness.

Doug

MYSIGNATUREPIC-1.jpg
1972 CUSTOM (Z03) - 402 CI, TH400, 12 Bolt 331:1 Posi, Power Driver 4-way Seat, Console, Full Gauges, Tilt, A/C, AM/FM Stereo, Power Trunk, Windows, Locks, Cruise Control & Keyless Entry

#113 ADGTRUNKLID

ADGTRUNKLID

One

• Members

• 263 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

Hope everyone had a Happy Holiday... Very cool to see all the pics and cool to hear the pigtail adapter fit in the OEM socket and behind the http://www.shiny-hiney.com/ circuit board; had I know I would have went with that setup.

Life happens

#114 mymontesa70

mymontesa70

Brass Member

• Members

• 282 posts
  • Locationmpls. minnesota
  • Legal Name:Brandon Landsberger

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

just saw this now. bummed i missed the boat on this. great buy!

#115 420ponies

420ponies

Silver Member

• Members

• 1,157 posts
  • LocationCorning,N.Y.14830

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

mymontasa70 , Sent you a PM

Jim

#116 amsterdam84

amsterdam84

Eastern Meet Canadian Stalker

• Members

• 1,233 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada
  • Legal Name:Mike

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

just saw this now. bummed i missed the boat on this. great buy!

I messaged them in December and missed out too.

Mike

#117 72-CLASSIC_RIDE

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Silver Member

• Members

• 2,420 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:09 PM

I saw this on eBAY if anyone else has a interest.  You will need to perform due diligence to ensure these are like the group buy we recently did.

https://www.ebay.com...4xag5tr&vxp=mtr   

Doug

MYSIGNATUREPIC-1.jpg

#118 ADGTRUNKLID

ADGTRUNKLID

One

• Members

• 263 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

If you missed the sale, you can still purchase them at http://www.cool-leds.com might cost a little more, but sure it is the same quality.

Life happens

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tail Lights

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Home Page
Mission|Benefits|Join|Renew|Merchandise
Message Forum
Members' Montes|Meet Photos
Tech Info|Museum|Parts|Registry|Links|Contact Us