Fuel Pressure Regulator

201fireman

I am looking into a fuel pressure regulator and am curious what others are using?  I have a small block with a mechanical pump.  Curious if others are using a return or non-return style? brands? Pressure ranges? Etc.  Any thoughts?

The factory never used them so I question why anyone would need one on a stock pump / carb system.

My brother in-law, a retired Chevrolet powertrain engineer, very strongly advises NOT to use one.

What we all need, with today's fuel, is a good fuel filter, not the plastic see through lawnmower type I see all the time.

IMO

Bruce

There should be no need for a pressure regulator with a mechanical pump unless it is a monster. I have a holley 170gph mechanical pump on my monte and do not have or need a regulator. If you are going to switch to an electric pump then a name brand regulator would be best. As far as return line or not. That’s up to you. Either that being said, if you are doing a lot of street driving I would go with a return line to beep the fuel as cool as possible and so the pump won’t “dead head” or have the fuel cavitate. If race only, no return line is necessary. If changing to fuel injection, a return line is recommended. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Not to bring up or highjack an older thread but what is the setup you have in your Monte bigtankjones ?? as far as your electric fuel pump and reg. set up is it a return line type? Looking to go to electric fuel pump set up in mine but trying to find a good dependable inline unit that's not too super loud. Can't swing $600 plus on an in tank set up.this time around.

Thanks for the Impute in PM....

Thanks or the Impute, I definitely need to go with an electric.

Today I rerouted and replaced my fuel lines away from heat sources as best as possible and installed a fuel reg & gauge and really showed the story.... when the motor started up and was cold I had over 7 psi and took her for a spin and she ran awesome, most power I have felt with the 750 Edelbrock but in 10 minutes time she warm up to full temp and my psi dropped to 3 ... ran totally different... I see I'm starving my carb i believe. The mechanical fuel pump gets extremely hot and I can see the fuel level on the glass fuel filter drop......  thought about replacing the mechanical with a new one but dont think it's worth it with the Florida weather.... I need more dependable fuel pressure....