Grant steering wheel horn doesn't work

Dito707

I bought my 70 monte with a grant steering wheel on it, but the horn button doesn't work, however I know the horn blows fine because when I rewired the old ignitonion switch (I believe it was) I touch two wires and the horn went off just fine( super loud) how I get the button to work???

​Your horn wire should have 12 volts coming from where it mounts. the plate should have a spring in it so when it is pressed it "grounds out" to sends 12volts to your horn. doe you have the center piece for the horn?

420ponies, here's what I'm looking at with my steering wheel the last pic is how it was when I took it off, the first pic is a change I made to the position of the spring,i was try to think about what u said about it touching the plate and it seemed to give the button more resistance, but as u can see there no wires connected to the button..... I need help thanx

post-5735-0-95012100-1511839186_thumb.jpg

post-5735-0-62765300-1511839205_thumb.jpg

post-5735-0-86490200-1511839242_thumb.jpg

post-5735-0-81904700-1511839271_thumb.jpg

Not that this will help but I am trying to remember my Grant steering wheel when I installed it...I know the horn itself has 12volts already connected to it and what you are dealing with at the button is the final ground connection from the other side of the horn. When the button is pressed it would connect those two terminal in your photo and connect the ground and then the horn would work. Now if you are missing the wire coming from the horn to that point then it would have to be somewhere in the steering shaft I would think.

I could be wrong as it has been 20 years since I had mine apart, lol.

In the second picture you posted there's an elongated hole where the horn button contact protrudes through with the wire. First you have to make sure that the steering shaft notch is lined up with the hub, secondly the horn ring contact is below the hub, then the horn button and contact with its lead protrudes through the oblong hole which attaches to the horn button spade.

The reason for the weird transition is due to the need for a constant connection whilst the steering wheel is being turned.